Mooring solutions - avoiding chafe and tangle ups

I eventually want to move off my rented marina berth and onto a mooring, somewhere nice, like the Bay Of Islands.

Below is a couple pics of my bow set up.

If I do move to a mooring, I don't want to have to faff about removing the anchor and stowing it somewhere each time I leave the boat, and conversely faff about setting it up again each time I visit the boat and want to go for a sail.

I have thought about using one of the fairleads you can see there on the bow plate, and just leaving the anchor there on the bow roller - but I fear in a wind / tide change, then it is going to become awful tangled there, with chafe a big danger.

Any ideas from anyone that uses a mooring regularly?

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 7.39.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 7.31.58 AM.png

Sister a roller onto the starboard side of your existing anchor prod thing. Not much further forward of the stem, so you keep some strength there.  Ensure that the mooring line can't lift up off the roller.

Twin legged bridle off the main bollard.

One leg out of each lead either side

That's how my tri was set up.

Works really well.

Just a shame the bottom end of the mooring crapped out on me.

Ah well, I needed a winter project.

Which reminds me, how much for a decent swivel KM?

Plonk some carpet on your deck loosen your chain and swing the anchor up onto the deck,fast and simple.Or just tie your anchor up onto your pulpit.

Thanks.  I'd have to take the "hoop" of the anchor sprit to do that....and I would feel uneasy with the anchor left on deck no matter how well you had secured it - but thanks for the idea!

Hi Zozza,

Please forgive me for this potentially very silly question, but where is your forestay?

No not a silly question Fish. I don't have one. 

Junk rig - unstayed mast.

Thanks.  I'd have to take the "hoop" of the anchor sprit to do that....and I would feel uneasy with the anchor left on deck no matter how well you had secured it - but thanks for the idea!

I hook my anchor over the pulpit and tie it on.    Takes only a few minutes to deal with.

Yeah pretty much except where they have that from the cleats down the topsides I'd run yours thru the 2 fairleads either side of your anchor roller structure. 

Ignore the swivel stuff, that's the US way of mooring and why you see so many piled so high after a decent blow.

The swivel is apparently to stop the chaffing should one side of the bridle twist over the other...that is my understanding.  How do you prevent this possible tangling up and and chaffing without a swivel?

I had a bridle with no swivel,no tangle as there is a swivel at the bottom of the mooring where the bottom chain joined top chain,Tamaki river fast flow and swirly winds,no issues

If you use the US system of mooring, which we generally don't, the boat can rotate around the mooring which will twist up the bridle and that can cause chafe, hence they drop that swivel in on to of the buoy. Te chafe they tend to suffer is fibre on fibre chafe.

In NZ we have swivels fitted lower down in the system on the bottom of the head rope or top chain (the other end of those 2 end on the boat so the swivel is usually not far below the surface when the boat is on the mooring), far bigger ones than the US uses. So that's where the twist stopping happens in the NZ method.

Hence the only chafe you need to worry about is where that bridle touches the boat. So no fibre on fibre but always a chance of fibre on boat.

Good one, thanks for explaining that difference between yank and kiwi moorings.  I guess plenty of chafe protection on the ropes on the boat, and should be good to go.

Forgot too mention.our morning was chain with a ring at top then bout rope had a mooring hook that was chained to bollard on one side and the other was a rope.so picking up mooring hook was hanging down picked up bouy and dropped ring on to hook.so once secured then then brought rope up other side.sounds complicated but worked well single handed.

Yeah,..... Na.  That's an American method, not for us down here.

The ropes running to the boat are not legal in most of NZ (too small), even if they do employ a technique I myself use and did say big steel a few years back, the un-equal length theory.

Why connect under the buoy in  place you can't easily see it - DO NOT SIT THERE THINKING 'BUT I WILL CHECK IT', No you won't, best intentions are good but it'll quickly be forgotten - that is also a wear zone and with critters trying to make it home.

Why not put the connection on top of the buoy and run 2 lines from there to your boat, 2 lines that are legal and in the 'BFO' size zone, cleaner, safer, cheaper, smarter ;)

PM coming at ya.

BFO = Big F**K Off

Heh, cheers KM