Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

Yup....

Wal'

The combination of careful conservatism and out-of-control wishful thinking common to the male of the species

#22 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:26 PM

These are people humans with all the same bits and pieces as you and me but with significantly less of life’s options escaping insufferable conditions and you think it is morally legitimate to abandon them at sea because they have not adhered to immigration processes and filled out the appropriate forms.
Crikey we all are or were immigrants at some stage of our historical cultural existences and rather than offer up the kind hand of humanity to others in dire need we build walls and seek to exclude and harm those that require help.
I am lost for words.

#23 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:34 PM

The right to seek asylum is enshrined in international law and basic humanity. I don't doubt for one second that those who say otherwise and make excuses for inhumane treatment would be the first to call for help when they needed it.

#24 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

Would like to think I wouldnt abandon my country and I would stay and fight the evil. Its what we do. (Wouldnt have the money to be able to leave anyway) This scarpering is not the western way.

#25 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

Would like to think if my kids were starving and there was no food to be had and my country had been bombed back to the dark ages to provide cheap oil to someone else I would have the courage to set out on a perilous journey to save my kids. Scarpering is smart if you want to survive.

#26 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

And speaking of Oz/NZ behaviour,  my Umesh, a friend of mine, had this to say today on the issue. https://thespinoff.c...c-rings-hollow/

#27 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

It's really easy to criticise a Country's immigration policies (US, Italy, Aust) when it is inhumane.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#28 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

So Kevin, you will leave your fellow countrymen foundering in the surf, so you and yours can escape.It will be only the wealthy who can afford a seat in the boat.Hardly solving any problem. And perhaps hypocritical?

#29 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:03 PM

Would like to think I wouldnt abandon my country and I would stay and fight the evil. Its what we do. (Wouldnt have the money to be able to leave anyway) This scarpering is not the western way.

Think you'll find borders and other such artificial boundaries are fairly much western concepts, especially in the context of Africa. The 'Great War' was over a century ago now vic008, and I've never heard such a load of brainwashing bollocks about a war being 'Great', or where exactly the honour is in dieing for King and Country. I take it that is where you are getting your notion of not abandoning your country from?

And, as for staying and fighting, taking lets say Yemen for example, how do you fight Saudi jets with US supplied precision guided bombs? When you and your kids are starving and dieing from diarrhea, you aren't really in a position to fight foreigners using high tech weapons against you. I think the US euphemistically call it "Asymmetrical Warfare". The pragmatic thing to do, if you want to survive, would be to pick your kids up in your arms, and starting putting one foot in front of the other, until you are out of dodge...or in Italy as the case may be.

#30 southernman

southernman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Locationnelson

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

Natural disasters and wars cause people to scarper.  I live in Christchurch, plenty of people scarpered when we had an Earthquake, let alone a war.  

Go work in a war zone before throwing stones, you will change your mind.  Bloody forum has gone too far here.  There was a guy in Germany who had similar views.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users