• PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Locationon the waters and else where

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:45 PM

LATEST PROPOSALS 

Hector's and Maui dolphin Threat Management Plan

Hector’s and Māui dolphins Threat Management Plan review

Dear Fishers SAVE HECTOR AND MAUI DOLPHIN SUPPORTERS,

This is to advise you know about public consultation on the plan to protect Hector’s and Māui dolphins, which has been launched today by the Minister of Conservation and the Minister of Fisheries.

These precious marine mammals are New Zealand’s taonga and we need to act now to ensure they are there for future generations.

The Department of Conservation and Fisheries New Zealand have developed a range of proposals using the best available science. We think they give us the best opportunity to save these dolphins.

We need to carefully balance these proposals against the impact they could have on people and their livelihoods. Your feedback will be critical in helping us understand this, so its important you to have your say.

Public consultation

The public consultation process begins today and closes at 5pm on 4 August 2019.

The best way to get an understanding of the proposals is to check out the information on our website

(https://ministryforp...-i-pdudiyd-l-r/) and have a read through the consultation document (https://ministryforprimaryindustries.cmail19.com/t/d-i-pdudiyd-l-y/) .

It includes maps showing the possible impacts of the proposed options, including the impacts on commercial and recreational fishing.

Public meetings will be scheduled during consultation, and we encourage you to attend. We are currently finalising dates for these events and they will be posted on our website.

We look forward to receiving your submissions.

Visit: www.fisheries.govt.nz/dolphintmp (https://ministryforp...-i-pdudiyd-l-j/)

NOW THE TIME FOR MEMBERS WITH STRONG VIEWS RE THE ENDANGERED SPECIES TO ACT SEN SUBMISSIONS AND VOICE SAME IN MASS AT THE PUBLIC METTINGS.

©  2013 2014 2015

ADVANCING MULTIHULL SAILOR ORGANIZER NAVIGATOR.

OCEAN COMBINED CRUISER / RACER ADVANCING MEMBER.

#2 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

Next they'll be banning dolphin strikers on catamarans.

Seriously though I fully support shutting down all fishing in the gulf, stocks/populations are completly rooted and there just wont be any fish left at all if we carry on like we are currently.

Yes it means some people's liveliehoods are affected, but there is a massive shortage of skilled labor currently so i don't buy the wrecked family's line. Add for those with boats, if the Gummit can find cash to buy semi automatic weapons they can find cash to compensate the boat owners

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:03 AM

I assume you mean shutting down all commercial fishing in the Gulf. I would suggest the first step would be to significantly reduce the recreational take. 9 Snapper per person is stupid ridiculous.

#4 darkside

darkside

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:59 AM

Wheels the limit has been 7 for quite a while. Still too many if you are out there on a regular basis.

#5 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the update. I agree that even 7 is still too many. They need to consider something more like 2 or 3. I mean, how many can one person eat?
Yeah OK, I understand that it could be a Parent feeding a large family. But that is no different to a Family buying commercially caught fish over the counter. In the end, it doesn't matter who it is caught by, but how much is caught and commercial is at least a managed quota system.

#6 Kiwifish

Kiwifish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

7 snapper is a good rec limit, 2-3 is ridiculous. When I go fishing I want some pay back on my time and costs. 2-3 snapper won’t do that. I catch my limit and feed 3 family’s, the other two families can’t go fishing. Are you saying they shouldn’t be allowed fresh fish if they can’t catch themselves?

The Hauraki gulf isn’t “rooted” it’s in abundance of Snapper, there are so many snapper in the gulf you can’t help but catch them, I have to hide in the cabin baiting my hook because they jump up and take the bait from hands!

If you can’t catch snapper in the gulf, clearly haven’t a clue what you are doing!

Why would they reduce commercial and recreational fishing in the gulf to save these dolphins?

“Hector’s dolphins are found in the waters around the South Island. They number some 15,000 and are classified as nationally vulnerable.
Māui dolphins are found on the West Coast of the North Island. There are only around 63 of them left. They are classified as nationally critical and face a real threat of extinction.”

That’s directly from the proposal mentioned above. SENTENCE REMOVED BY MODERATOR

The grass is greenest where you water it. Www.gulfwanderers.blog

#7 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

I follow LegaSea on FB, they usually present well-reasoned debate backed by current research.  Worth a look.

There certainly is a lot of ridiculousness pedalled by both sides of the argument.

#8 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Locationon the waters and else where

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Next they'll be banning dolphin strikers on catamarans.

Seriously though I fully support shutting down all fishing in the gulf, stocks/populations are completly rooted and there just wont be any fish left at all if we carry on like we are currently.

Yes it means some people's liveliehoods are affected, but there is a massive shortage of skilled labor currently so i don't buy the wrecked family's line. Add for those with boats, if the Gummit can find cash to buy semi automatic weapons they can find cash to compensate the boat owners

I agree with you but if you want to debate / discuss wet fish numbers, catch limits and not mammals, there sanctuary and semi protected area, extending same, banning certain types of commercial fishing methods in the same area which this thread is about. There was plenty of discussion previously that all commercial fishing in the Maui dolphins semi protected area some time ago by quite a few members accusing the GOV'T could not be moved on such action as a certain MP had been won over to their side by funding the party at the previous NZ parliamentary  political election. There was a thread re MPI cod numbers restrictions and proposed numbers. Go to the fisheries web site for details.  NO OFFENCE IS INTENDED.

On with the subject title posts.

THANKS

©  2013 2014 2015

ADVANCING MULTIHULL SAILOR ORGANIZER NAVIGATOR.

OCEAN COMBINED CRUISER / RACER ADVANCING MEMBER.

#9 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

7 snapper is a good rec limit, 2-3 is ridiculous. When I go fishing I want some pay back on my time and costs. 2-3 snapper won’t do that. I catch my limit and feed 3 family’s, the other two families can’t go fishing. Are you saying they shouldn’t be allowed fresh fish if they can’t catch themselves?

Well the choice is, continue with 7 or continue complaining about the lack of fish. Although if you all can catch 7 snapper each, I would suggest that the fishery is in fairly good shape.
However, If you think 2 or 3 of one species is tuff, have a thought about us down here in the Sounds and the restrictions of catching Cod now. Plus there are some pushing to make the Sounds a marine reserve and stop all fishing.

#10 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

https://www.surveymo...Aw1w4cnCr0Ms_3D

It is a survey purely on what we want in the way of submissions,when one starts reading the B/S regarding numbers for hectors/maui it becomes very apparent that this a commercial fishing in conjunction with Fisheries. They claim numbers have increased been bugger all deaths in the last 5 yrs and something like 255 hectors now,when all reports show there is only about 65 left.

The only way to protect the hector/maui dolphin is a total ban set netting trawling seining within 10 miles of the entire NZ coast. In the survey they mention hector/maui are only found in depths less than 100m,as on knows you do have to travel far off the west coast to find depths of 100m,so 10 miles would be a good starting point.

There have been 3 articles of late regarding the state of the gulf,I emailed the minister and got a email what a load of tripe,he has friggen idea.

Closing paragraph states. Having spent $21 million on stock review we can now say NZ stocks are healthy. What a load of B/S.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users