#1 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

Here is a pic of our anchor. I don't know what make it is, estimated weight is 8kg and we have never used it, nor do we expect to.
However, having an anchor on board is a requirement so I would like to set it up with a length of chain, just in case.
The boat is 10.5m and 8 tonnes. The maximum depth we would ever anchor in is 3 meters on a mud bottom, maximum current 2km/hour.
Stowage is a bit of an issue so what would be the minimum chain size and length that I could safely get away with?
Attached File  20190618_084059.jpg   410.92KB   1 downloads
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#2 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

but what is the max wind?

ACT NOW!

don't wait for everyone else

to save you from yourself

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,647 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

looks like a home made POS to me! Min 1 boat length of chain, total rode min 30m should be sufficient.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

but what is the max wind?

From experience to date, four fifths of nothing.
Young at heart.

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

That's a baby Pool Anchor, of which there are a few variations. Bigger versions are commonly seen on bigger boats, lots on superboats as they pocket very well, on the end of the 200mt yellow markers around Akl beachs have 20kg ones holding them there. They are a bit of a modern take on your old but still very common stockless commonly seen oin big commercial shipping. Tomorrow we find out if a boater wants to order 2 of them for a project going on up north. A gentle 1200kg EACH and take a breath as he wants solid stainless ones. Nearly 6 figure each for those wondering.

Good anchors softer bottom anchors so probably pretty good in what I would expect to be muddy canal seabeds. One of the few flat anchors that does OK in firmer bottoms as well. Looks in great nik.

Yeap agree with IT, boat length and then some string. 8mm chain, 14mm string. A simple Polyester would be great. Nylon will be OK if you can't find polyester. Basic 3 strand will be fine.

Note Polyester NOT polyprop, 2 different animals with unfortunately names that are too similar.

if only you had packed one of your old headsail sheets ;)

Maybe consider a small, 6mm line attached to a float to connect to the back of it when you deploy it. I'd think there could be some crap in the canels which it may get stuck in so you can use that to drag it out backwards. You'll have a better idea what the bottoms are like so that may not be a issue.

#6 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:53 PM

From its condition I would say the anchor has never been used and came with the boat, and if you think that one is small then you ought to see the little mini version on board as well.
It is intended to buy 8mm shortlink and I am aware of the old length of chain = boat length rule but because we don't have good stowage for chain and 8mm costs an eye watering NZD22 a meter, I was hoping given our anchoring conditions that we could get away with a bit less.
Young at heart.

#7 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

22 per metre!!!

I bought Maggi aqua4 for £6.24/m = ~12 NZD per m.
https://jimmygreen.c...ed-anchor-chain

That’s in the uk, of course, but there must be a cheaper offering than 22 in France.

Where are you close to?

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#8 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

The NZD22/meter was from the hardware store Leroy Merlin in Nancy. Since then I have found tested 8mm chain from the ship Chandler in Metz at €5.80/meter. But we are on our way to Toul at the moment and the Chandler in Metz doesnt arrange delivery. So we will try our luck in Toul where there are a few boatyards.
Young at heart.

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

22 per mt is very much a holy crap!!!!!

The 5.60 is most likely chinese but that's OK. I can't see you ever getting any significant loads and I see no gypsy to fit around so it'll be fine. But it maybe not, things are afoot and the EU is about to go head to head with China, it's going to be very very interesting to watch this pan out. Some is out and about so it is possible that the 5.60 is EU made. It's only a G30 but that's perfectly fine for Chris's ride.

In NZ it'll not make too much difference short term, all the chinese sellers tend to pump their price up next to Maggis to try to imply it's an equal and then bullshit the punters, often unintentionally but a growing number very intentionally. But once we ramp up supplies I intend to have some fun ;)

#10 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:03 AM

Interesting about the Euro versus Chinese chain KM.
The 8 mm short link chain offered at €5.80/metre, assuming I can get my hands on it, is made in France, Grade 40, ISO 4565, whatever all that means.
Young at heart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users