6 replies to this topic

#1 all fired up

all fired up

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

I have unbolted some fittings on my boat. Inside the deck they were fastened through a Stainles Steel backing plate.

The backing plate appears to be sitting on a thin layer of a rubbery like compound something like Sikaflex. 

Is there a method or chemical to clean this stuff off the fibreglass?

Or do I have to do it the tedious way and carefully scrape it off with a sharp chisel or similar.

a.f.u

'Once you hit the line at the gun at full speed for the first time, you'll never mow your lawn again.'

#2 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:16 PM

It’s really hard to say what solvent will work, you have to try a few But definitely the very best method is to scrape as much as you can off before you try. Some of that citrus remover may work, acetone, Terps, xylene, it just depends good luck!

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#3 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:18 PM

Something else to consider is one of those caramel wheels that you put on a drill and basically erase the residue off

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#4 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:21 PM

Also a heat gun is very effective when scraping

#5 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

Isn't there some sort of special wire that slices through sikaflex like butter? 
Or so I've been told.

#6 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,718 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 05:59 AM

Cured Polyurathanes will not dissolve by anything I know of. At least anything that also would not dissolve the Boat as well.
A flat knife blade on one of those vibrating multi tools ( not what you are thinking KM ;-) ) cuts the stuff well and then it could be a case of sanding away anything left. And it is not easy to sand either.

#7 clochmerle

clochmerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

I have the answer, what you need are plastic razor blades. They are magical, you can scrape off almost anything and not damage the surface, then a scrub with citrus cleaner or meths to remove the residue.

I buy mine from aliexpress. Not sure who locally sells them.

I removed boat window sealant, and even a van roof with baked on vinyl wrap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users