Photo

We need help in protecting Great Barrier Island.

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#11 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

Does anyone know exactly how far "off the coast" means?

25km. It's in the petition blurb.

#12 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Just to help those who don't do cube roots in their head, 250,000 cubic metres is a cube of around 63 metres on each side. 35 years worth of those laid end to end is about 2.2 km long.

#13 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

Is this it? https://www.epa.govt...t-EEZ100015.pdf

If so, the dumping area seems to be about 15nm offshore in about 150m of water depth.

I love GB Island as much as anyone else but I'm genuinely not qualified to understand what the negative effects of dumping at this distance are?

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#14 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,740 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

I am the same. And I too would think 150m of water and 15Nm off shore would be OK.
However, that company needs to be monitored that they are indeed dropping the stuff that far out, as they have been caught before in the past not going out to where they were supposed to. Thanks to AIS and the Harbour Masters office wondering why the dredge was parked where it was for the time it would have taken for the return journey if they had of taken it.

#15 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

I am the same. And I too would think 150m of water and 15Nm off shore would be OK.
However, that company needs to be monitored that they are indeed dropping the stuff that far out, as they have been caught before in the past not going out to where they were supposed to. Thanks to AIS and the Harbour Masters office wondering why the dredge was parked where it was for the time it would have taken for the return journey if they had of taken it.

Don’t get me wrong if someone shows me evidence that this will have proven damaging effect I’ll sign the petition tomorrow. I’m not kidding.

But when I think about the other rubbish we are dumping into our rivers, harbours and beaches much closer to land including plastics, sewage and general rubbish then I’m inclined to think maybe this one isn’t worth the fight. And maybe moving a few cubic kms of mud from one bit of seabed to the other ain’t that bad at all.

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#16 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

In the north of Germany, they've dredged tidal rivers like the Ems for years and brought the dredgings ashore - used them to reclaim land... just sayin...

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#17 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

15 miles seems close to me at 1 knots of current we would see silt come ashore in 15 hours in easterly wind. We know currents can be in easterly direction from the Rose Noel drifted onto Great Barier over a 100 days drifting back against prevailing wind. 60 miles would be three days and much safer. 

I asume its our dirty harbour they are dredging for bigger boats, lead and other heavy metals will get unearthed in our harbour.

The big shipping companies are setting themselves up to monopolise the market in my opinion and probably keep taking more of our harbour.

I sail past the docks a lot and seem to see more down time for the cranes, also seem less ships anchored out waiting. Those new cranes probably work about four times more efficient.

The free market might also stifle when Trump gets another term.

I will sign the petition.

#18 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

Sorry guys I’m just not feeling it with this one.

No evidence, not convinced, saving my energies for real issues.

My signature doesn’t come lightly.

#19 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12247292

Protest been and gone,this was raised in thread here about 2 months ago. If the sediment moves(which it will) it will sffocate shell fish beds on the eastern side,like a lot of sediment has done around ponui island,chamberlin bay,next to shark. Use to be a good cockle bed but now black sludge which has come from the beachland area. The bay use to be soft clean mud.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#20 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12247292

Protest been and gone,this was raised in thread here about 2 months ago. If the sediment moves(which it will) it will sffocate shell fish beds on the eastern side,like a lot of sediment has done around ponui island,chamberlin bay,next to shark. Use to be a good cockle bed but now black sludge which has come from the beachland area. The bay use to be soft clean mud.

But you can’t remotely compare what’s happened in the shallow waters around Thames Estuary and bottom end of Waiheke with what might happen 15 miles out into the deep open waters of S Pacific Ocean!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users