13 replies to this topic

#11 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:06 AM

Just how would you go about banning nukes and making 101% sure everyone who had them complied and stop new people from developing them. 

This issue has been discussed and researched for a long time. There are existent plans for inspection and detection that are highly developed. Some of them are similar to those used for the Iran agreement - which worked well until the US bailed on it. And there is a network of seismic detectors in place and operational . .    

https://science.hows...r-detection.htm

And there might well be nations that refuse to make nukes, but then change their minds - like North Korea. For that you want to look into the literature on "Break-Out". 

There are also huge environmental. social, political, and economic costs of having nukes. 

Aotearoa made the right choice. 

#12 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:31 AM

And to elaborate a bit - the merchants of death and militarists of the US Reich . .  

have opposed any and all treaties limiting nukes and promoting human rights .  . . 

since at least the early 1950's 

nuclear abolition will require that they be made toothless . . 

a big job, I know

Here is a worthy anti-nuke project - now voyaging to Hawaii and beyond, with a goal of being in

Hiroshima for the 75th anniversary of the nuking. 

It would be great to have some Kiwis in the crew !! 

http://www.vfpgoldenruleproject.org/

#13 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Thx for reply AJ. However no matter what arrangements are made they would be unenforceable. Rogue operators could / would prevail in the event. It seems that now the genie is out of the bottle there's no going back. Best to have the proliferation that exists so no one gets to hold anyone hostage ? Ideology went out the door when Oppenheimer et al pressed the button at Trinity. My family went through the Cuban Missile Crisis and it was terrifying. My folks thought it was all over .

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#14 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted Today, 06:53 AM

Thx for reply AJ. However no matter what arrangements are made they would be unenforceable.  Best to have the proliferation that exists so no one gets to hold anyone hostage 

You don't know about the "arrangements" and whether or not they might be "enforceable" because you have not read up on the topic . . I would ask you to do that. 

And yeah, deterrence is great until it is not (see Cuba, 1962). Do you really trust the leaders of the US, Russia, China, Israel, etc. to be rational over centuries? I sure don't. 

I agree in this instance with Rbt. McNamara, " The indefinite combination of human fallibility and nuclear weapons will lead to the destruction of nations." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users