Lifting Engine with Boom

Going to attempt to remove my engine with the use of a chainblock and the boom.. with the boat in the water.

Swing the boom out over the side and lower onto finger.

Any advice on what/what not to do?

Engine is about 140kg.. I think that included the gearbox.

Get a big friend, or two normal friends to actively balance the boat with their body weight as you swing the boom out over the finger... 

And put some tarps and polythene down to catch any crap that dribbles out of the engine. Have a few wooden blocks ready to prop the engine up to stop it rolling or turning out of control.

• Upvote 1

yeah, get all you halyards back and tight to support the area of the boom that will be taking the loads

worked for me:o)

you don't want it falling in the water...

gallery_1988_51_12127.jpg

Get a big friend, or two normal friends to actively balance the boat with their body weight as you swing the boom out over the finger... 

And put some tarps and polythene down to catch any crap that dribbles out of the engine. Have a few wooden blocks ready to prop the engine up to stop it rolling or turning out of control.

This seems like good advice.. thanks!

What IT says  :-)

Engines on smaller yachts are not heavier than what your rig should be well able to take.

If you want to be careful, then run your halyards to brace your load.

(like extra stays in line with your lifting angle)

Perhaps run your main Halyard as an extra topping lift.

I welded a lug in line on my boom, specifically to lift the engine. Having a centre cockpit with a lifting floor makes it very easy.

I’ve done it lots of times on different boats

Set up either your main sheet or another block and tackle so you can lift from two points, this way you can walk the engine forward to get it out of the engine bay then lift and walk aft through the companionway

Have your main halyard opposite one lifting point and your spinnaker and Genoa halyards rapped around your mast to support the boom every metre or less.

Once you have it in the cockpit move it even further aft so when you swing your boom out it will clear the side deck and then put a trolley on the finger and lower it straight in.

The next tricky part is getting it onto either a trailer or Ute, I’ve been known to walk around the car park prior looking for a suitable tree.

I did it on my carpenter 29 just as described above, 160 Kg of BUKH 10,piece of cake.

Ditto. I did it on my Dubois 42 with a Volvo MD3020. Easy peasy

Blocks of wood and some old bits of carpet were very handy.

Once we pulled it out we perched it on a marina trolley lined with carpet and dragged it to the mechanics ute - its amazing what those marina trolleys will handle  

Yup did the Volvo 18hp out of the old Y88 the same way, and put the new 30hp in also - so boom can handle it as they say.

Just tie the halyard onto the boom at the same point that you are lifting from so there is no bending moment in the boom.

Chainblock makes it way easier so that you can do micro increments up and down and then align things. but ifnot a mate with a winch handle does the same :-)

Most booms will do it without additional support, providing the topping lift is strong enough and attached properly. No harm in more support if your nervous, but a boom that cant handle a couple of hundred kilos bending moment on a boat over 25ft wont handle sailing loads....

Provided the topper is strong enough ,but do you really want a 100 plus’s kg swinging off the top of your mast

Nothing compared to wiping out in big breeze with a masthead kite on.

• Upvote 1