Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

I’ve done it lots of times on different boats
Set up either your main sheet or another block and tackle so you can lift from two points, this way you can walk the engine forward to get it out of the engine bay then lift and walk aft through the companionway
Have your main halyard opposite one lifting point and your spinnaker and Genoa halyards rapped around your mast to support the boom every metre or less.
Once you have it in the cockpit move it even further aft so when you swing your boom out it will clear the side deck and then put a trolley on the finger and lower it straight in.
The next tricky part is getting it onto either a trailer or Ute, I’ve been known to walk around the car park prior looking for a suitable tree.

The best sailors do it two handed

#12 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:03 AM

I did it on my carpenter 29 just as described above, 160 Kg of BUKH 10,piece of cake.

Ditto. I did it on my Dubois 42 with a Volvo MD3020. Easy peasy

Blocks of wood and some old bits of carpet were very handy.

Once we pulled it out we perched it on a marina trolley lined with carpet and dragged it to the mechanics ute - its amazing what those marina trolleys will handle  

#13 Marshy

Marshy

DayStar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:40 AM

Yup did the Volvo 18hp out of the old Y88 the same way, and put the new 30hp in also - so boom can handle it as they say.

Just tie the halyard onto the boom at the same point that you are lifting from so there is no bending moment in the boom.

Chainblock makes it way easier so that you can do micro increments up and down and then align things. but ifnot a mate with a winch handle does the same :-)

<p>Marshy - I may have gone to the Darkside, but I'm loving the VMG to windward....

#14 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,794 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

Most booms will do it without additional support, providing the topping lift is strong enough and attached properly. No harm in more support if your nervous, but a boom that cant handle a couple of hundred kilos bending moment on a boat over 25ft wont handle sailing loads....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#15 Winter

Winter

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:59 PM

Many thanks to all your advice and tips. 
I am pleased to report today's mission was a success. 

Everything went to plan. 

TYVGTyU.jpg

#16 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:03 PM

Provided the topper is strong enough ,but do you really want a 100 plus’s kg swinging off the top of your mast

#17 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:28 AM

Provided the topper is strong enough ,but do you really want a 100 plus’s kg swinging off the top of your mast

Nothing compared to wiping out in big breeze with a masthead kite on.

#18 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,794 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

Agreed Raz, lifting the engine is a minor load compared to sailing in a breeze. If the rig cant do that, its not safe to go sailing!

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users