Weiti 2 Handed His & Hers

Atom Ant

Hey KM, got your she crew sorted yet? I've got one sorted out - will sail with her for the first time ever on Saturday morning on the way to the start line.

If your wife can't make it how are you going to get around staying up here overnight? Cause a few ripples. She might knot like that!!! :sick:

Far out, so it might not be the "Desperate and Dateless" race after all? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haven't seen any posts posts in the crew wanted section AA, which dodgy website did you use to recruit your crew? :wink:

Got my crew sorted. Stroppy but will do as she is told at least 1/2 the time, which is better than most :)

Also a 1st timer short handed and in most other areas, going to be interesting. She's been pestering me for a while so we'll see how it pans out.

Forecast looks like my BBYC training the other week may come into play. Rather light and wobbly at this stage. Left or right around maybe the deciding call on the day.

I suppose it's easy for AA as he can follow me and/or Fish ;) :lol: :lol:

Where's John and the tricycle, he coming out to play does anyone know? Could be a horizon job on the rest of us if he picks the right direction. More buckets needed please :lol:

No dodgy websites Fish. I see that yet again Metvuw & Metservice totally disagree on Saturdays forecast. KM, AA sucks in the light so I'm hoping for the Metservice forecast! Which way round? Follow me boys! :arrow:

AA sucks in the light so

:?: :?: :?: :twisted:

What?!?!

You poor thing :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm expecting to positively float my 6.5T like a butterfly (or maybe a brick :thumbdown: )

The good news is I might actually have a (qualifying) crew :D :D

And she's experinced :thumbup:

Just not at sailing :thumbdown:

She has promised to compete competitively in a sportsman like manner though and do her utmost to win the race under fair sailing, by lying around on the foredeck in a bikini, and communicate clearly with the other skippers for the purposes of "safety" check ins :clap: :clap:

Should distract KM for the first 10miles or so

Now all I have to do is convince AA that anticlockwise is definately the best way to go :think:

Well, what a bit of a fun that was.

We arrived, complete with my 'Her' being D2, in our usual 'Bugger missed the start again' manner but are improving as this time only 5-8mins late across the line. Made the mistake of thinking there would be some wind assistance for the run up, wrong. The weather was soft and had a big 'variable' question mark over it as in 'just what the F will it do?'

The fleet headed off with most electing to go clockwise around Mototap/Rangi, 3 going anti-clockwise and until 1/2 way down us wanting to go anti but thinking if the wind did die out in the arvo as predicted the back of Mototap would be a nasty slow spot. And besides we wanted to see what AA was cooking up for lunch so clockwise we went. That was a bugger as we did want some biffo with Bump N Grind (a newish turboed and good looking Ross 8 something which has done a number on us more than once) but they went anti.

AA, a very slippery F9.2 an a couple of others (sorry I don't know the WBC fleet that well) had a nice jump on us at this stage but being one who has done masses of Round Rangis we know anything is likely to happen, we push on. Slide past a big fella, then a E5.9, then one or 2 more. D2 pipes up 'Daddy why they stopped?'. Dad looks and much to his delight, they found a hole in the wind. Oh dear, how sad, Goodie :thumbup:

Come the entrance to Rakino channel there was a 5-6 boat park up amongst a mass of fishos and Petrels. Drifty drifty slowly slowly we sneak up to AA's transom. At this stage we could hear some low growling which was probably AA in displeasure. 1st a F9.2 and now that bloody Ross boat. 'Leave me alone you bloody pests' :lol:

A tiny breeze kicks in and AA and us just manage to grab it to jump out from the park up leaving the rest to wait a little longer. Now it's on babe. AA pulls out a nice margin and tacks into the shore, we hold a little longer then tack. We try to stay out of sync and pull some metres back. Header and AA goes in, we continue. Damn that isn't a lift it's a shift and we are on the wrong side and lifting, AA looking good. Small header and we have to go, AA in skimming the rocks and looking tidy. We get a small brezze increase and hello, this'll be close, AA by a boat length going into Motihei passage. Wind fades and we pull out 1 of our weapons, light weather height, we have shitloads and use it to squeeze AA. Ya hoo we are now looking at a red bow rather than stern.

Tachie, tackie and AA slides ahead again. The following fleet are sneaking up, bugger. Into the Issy Bay entrance tidal triangle and YUCK. AA pulls out a margin.

Crap, there is Bump n Grind looking knot to shabby indeed but having hassles keeping the kite filled, long may that continue. Where that bloody AA gone? Back to height mode and some rock hopping. sh*t, Quiet Riot is there as well, another anti-clockwise boat. Maybe clockwise wasn't the best call.

US and AA close 1/4's tacking and rock hopping around the Rangi shore line. AA gets a margin then we chomp it back again. We slide ahead only to see transom next crossing, that continues for a while. That was a lot of fun, at least on our boat. Just like a bad smell we just won't leave AA in peace :)

Coming past Rangi wharf and the wind improves from sh*t to bearable. Still holding AA but expecting a good old arse whopping once we crack sheets so go hard while we can. Sheets easing and they are just there. Just how close can we cut this corner knowing AA needs more water for his sexy Ross keel than we do for our shallower primordial Ross triangle complete with a zit. Side by side and now what? He'll pull out some big sexy A sail and we're toast, what can we do?

We very slowly sneak ahead while AA gets the big gear ready. Having auto pilot issues and D2 is worried she'll mow down one of the numerous fishos so well hold until Saltworks post and just hope.

Yeap, there goes AA's big gear along with a big speed leap. Just free enough for our flat kite so up goes the big purple lizard, now names 'Iggie' D2 says. Dads gets cunning, which hasn't always proved to be so. How about we try and stay high in the hope AA will keep high as well. Later we can run flatter and he'll have to gybe, I wonder if that'll work?

What the? The A sail doesn't seem to be the pick as the mighty Iggie is getting us back in the game, all be it very slowly. Opps, racing interrupted as D2 puts on a fashion show complete with stage and a curtain. Nice but can we try and mow AA down please, daddy is a little excited we are still so close and closing. Slight deviation to show the Sprit of NZ team D2's skeleton outfit she knocked up off Rangi light. The Sprit team enjoyed it and laughed. Now back to AA who is now straight abeam of us. Wind coming aft, Oh yeah we like this.

And the mighty Iggie powered reptile sneaks ahead of AA with none of the anti-clockwise boats to be seen. It is a glorious day indeed. Concentration slips a little while the Reptile team get into some stunning co-ordinated dance moves. Bit tricky with a kite sheet and tiller in hand but ya get that while 'I see you shaking that ass' :)

Finish line in sight, AA to weather but back just enough we hope, it's gonna be close but I think we'll just....................Holy Mary mother of God, 'what the f**k' and just a simple 'Oh Crap', that's Bump N Grind screaming up with genny sucking like the IRD. Where the F word did she materialise from?? Oh BUM!.....this is going to be incredibly close, hold the what was to be a slightly conservative timed kite drop.

Yes we will, no we won't, where's AA? - repeat a pile of times.

Oh oh, there is a full noise kite assisted T bone coming right on the finishline. Who has rights? Crap, it's knot Knot Me. Push that kite.... Opps.. those rocks aren't far beyond the line. 100mts to go and Bump is ahead by 1/2 a prod and with rights. Holding holding stressing stressing what can we?. 50mts and Bump has the whole prod over us. Bugger!! 25mts, nope she has us nailed, down kite before we stop way too fast on something hard, that being either Bump or the rocks behind her.

BANG to Bump n Grind. After 6.5 hours of racing, only a couple but very long seconds later Suburban Reptile crosses with a AA right on their transom. Quiet Riot (I think) only a few minutes back with a pile on her heels.

The Bump N Grind team very excited at the very well deserved gun. For a moment there I thought they were going to get that excited I'd have to cover D2's eyes :) Great sail team and nice call on the direction, a well deserved win indeed.

So all in all a bloody good day. Some very good fun head to head action and the good fun tactical battles that come with courses and weather like that.

Big Thanks to the WBC team yet again for great hospitality, racing and course.

AA, would you like me to send you template if Iggie, the fastest purple lizard on Akl's water :lol: :lol:

Big ups to D2, a long day for the little one but she stood up to it well and by the time we got home was calling the gusts with precision far above many I've raced with over the years. No idea why she hooked into that but nice to know she knows what to look for and gets the calls spot on. Knot to sure if the fashion and dance show were the fastest but it was a nice distraction for a while. I have discounted the theory she was planted aboard by Bump N Grind :lol:

I've had some magnificent racing this year. I am a happy puppy. Had some nice results as well, which is a pleasant bonus.

w^&#$@r of the day Award goes to the Ports of Auckland Pilot boat. Full titty past us 15mts away, maximum, just by 9 buoy. Dear POA Pilot boat driver - you are a inconsiderate dickhead of the 1st order who is highly likely to hurt someone if you continue to practice unsafe boating as you exhibited yesterday. Unbelievably poor seamanship and look.

Yes what a day it was, although where the hell did Fish get to? Knot Me do you think he bailed cos you ranover him like he wasn't there, and frankly, we never saw him - was he there?

What a race! The "choose which way round you go" added a dimension which makes it fun. While we were parked up anguishing over knowing the the anticlockwise boats were surely smoking their way past Rangi light and seeing the lizard sail up to us and effectively start our race again little beknownst to us the anticlockwise boats were parked up at Rangi light anguishing over knowing the the clockwise boats were surely smoking their way through Rakino channel and catching the tide through Motuihe Channel.

I won't bore you but KM's rendition is bang on. We traded paint on a few crosses, though to be fair although my boat needs a polish, his boat needs a repaint so he got the better end of the deal there! It was fun! Yes I chose the wrong bloody downwind sail again but that's yacht racing. Those 930's are slippery on a flat run but when I hoisted it was a reach and it nearly always heads you as you approach Long Bay - not this time. We had to throw in a few gybes and it was all over rover.

Big Ups to Bump N Grind who came smoking in to the finish at warp speed.

Super Big ups to Knot Me for gracing the Weiti Fleet with his presence. Thanks for making the effort to come northwards KM!

Yes what a day it was, although where the hell did Fish get to? Knot Me do you think he bailed cos you ranover him like he wasn't there, and frankly, we never saw him - was he there?

To be honest we were deep in a 'chase down AA but he's going the way we didn't want too so shall we or knot' quandary for most of the 1st leg. As you noticed by our aiming at Gardners Gap a big part of the way.

when I hoisted it was a reach and it nearly always heads you as you approach Long Bay - not this time

:lol: :lol: Taken down by local knowledge, I do like that :lol: I was wondering what happens up that end so was just hoping we'd end up running rather than reaching. Better sized sail this time AA and fast when the wind was working for you just to much too flat. I do like Huey sometimes and did during that run to the end.

Super Big ups to Knot Me for gracing the Weiti Fleet with his presence. Thanks for making the effort to come northwards KM!

Good fun people, cool range of boats to play with, absolutely magnificent waters in which to race and a very pleasant new set of fun yet challenging courses to contend with. Racing around many islands of assorted sizes and other cool sh*t rather than the same old buoys week in week out. I'm very surprised more boats don't come up and play, it's knot hard and very much well worth the effort. Sure you may lose a couple of lawn mowing or shoping with the Wa hours in the commute but isn't that just added bonus? :thumbup: :lol:

Agreed, I like these not too long but not so short courses. Trouble is that we have river dwellers to consider which means that we have to try to keep the race to a maximum of 4 hours if the bigger boats want to get back in the river. Poor Champers and The Remedy had to park in Arkles Bay and wait til around 10 pm to go back in again. They didn't have a dinghy so the Champers crew had to go into survival mode on a tin of spaghetti and orange juice - now that's what I call serious dedication to racing!

Also KM your donation of the rum was well accepted by Mardi Gras who came 3rd. A big thank you from them and again your dedication to coming to our playground to no other reason than to play is cool. Hopefully you'll make it to our end of summer prizegiving.

The results are up for you to see. It's neck and neck at the mo although after the discard you are ahead by one point! Hopefully the next race will provide me with some Ant weather!

It's a single handed so should I be saying Thanks in advance for the the vote of confidence in me Squid? Geee, that's sweet of you :lol:

It's all about the quality of the yacht AA. Sailing just for me and only me, as I can a lot more these days, is verging on bliss.

Agreed, I like these not too long but not so short courses. Trouble is that we have river dwellers to consider which means that we have to try to keep the race to a maximum of 4 hours if the bigger boats want to get back in the river. Poor Champers and The Remedy had to park in Arkles Bay and wait til around 10 pm to go back in again. They didn't have a dinghy so the Champers crew had to go into survival mode on a tin of spaghetti and orange juice - now that's what I call serious dedication to racing!

Lovely day on the water, unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I had to peg it back to the river to catch the falling tide. I'd forgot to mention to my "SI complaint crew" the possiblility of staying out all night. Although it sounds I was better equiped than Champers, I had a loaf of bread, a bottle of rum and a case of beer, incase of emergencies...

As it was i only had 1.8m over the bar, we draw 1.8..... normally stop moving when he sounder says 1.7m :!:

Bit of a lazy start. Must remeber it takes longer to get all the sails up without a full crew. Was plessed to see the Reptile behind as I crossed the start line, that didn't last long :crazy: zoomed through the fleet like a knife through hot butter.

Was convinced anti-clockwise was the way to go, then went clockwise :? :?

Were laying Billy Goat easy, and don't go to windward that well, and especially not in the light, so decided not to tack up to Rangi.

Went to go low through Rakino Ch, saw you lot park up and started getting vaguely excited I might be able to wriggle through on the low side.

Parked up, chased the wind around, and around, and around, and around some more. Everyone else had long cleared off, accepted Rapido who closed the gap, then fell back then clossed the gap again

Finally got into steady breeze and started a nice little play with Rapido when I hit my turn around time :thumbdown:

Tried some fishing, caught some seaweed, had some beers as we motored back to the river.

Very nice day out.

Thanks to the start boat guys and sponsors etc. Have to miss the next one due to an inconsiderate mate getting married down south :lol:

Two more races in the series, will be interesting...

Archived