Photo

Incorporating EIS/AIS, laptop or new Nav system?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationCruising Vanuatu

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:30 PM

For this year's winter Sth Pacific islands cruise I left NZ with:

Standalone chart plotter with recent C Map card (Sept 18)

Laptop running Open CPN loaded with all LINZ charts and last version of CM93

Tablet, initially only loaded with Fiji mariners guide app (compilation of google map photos for Fiji).

Open CPN was ok in Tonga as it is running LINZ charts albeit with some gaps, eg no raster charts for the Ha'apais.

Then downloaded Navionics and this has become principal reference charts for coastal navigation around Fiji and now Vanuatu.

The charts available for Open CPN just do not have sufficient detail and neither did the C Map card in the chart plotter, eg the C Map card had no soundings for the Western Yasawas. I queried C Map on this and they advised they have only just incorporated these soundings (and others) in their June 2019 release.

I have since picked up a comprehensive set of google earth photos for the sth pacific which has been installed to run with Open CPN.

Whilst in Western Fiji where I had good internet access(have a cell phone booster aerial running to a mifi modem) I was running google map live, it was very good for picking up reef outlines.

I am finding I use the Chart plotter for ocean passages (and an ocean chart open on the chart table) and the tablet on the coast. I really only look at OpenCPN for the google photos, whereas back on NZ coast it is my preferred reference 

#12 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

I have since picked up a comprehensive set of google earth photos for the sth pacific which has been installed to run with Open CPN.

#13 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

Marinheiro - where did you get all the GoogleEarth photos for Sth Pacific? I downloaded some for Vava’u and Fiji (Soggy paws) but could find any for rest of Sth Pacific.

#14 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

Im almost embarrassed to say this but the last three offshore passages i have done entirely using marinermx on my phone. Plus everything in between.

Cant get anything to show for 'marinermx' Whats it about?

#15 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

Sorry. Try MX Mariner. Its a chart plotter. I find it easier to use and more intuitive than others. Uses lees power than navionics.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#16 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

I’ve downloaded the following app as suggested by Dr Dave on here, looks really good
You need to download an area whilst you have good internet access
I haven’t used it in anger yet however, has anyone else here ?

Ovitalmap

The best sailors do it two handed

#17 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Sorry. Try MX Mariner. Its a chart plotter. I find it easier to use and more intuitive than others. Uses lees power than navionics.

Doesn’t appear to be an iOS app ?

Android only by the looks

Edited by Jon, 22 August 2019 - 06:17 PM.

The best sailors do it two handed

#18 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

Marinheiro - where did you get all the GoogleEarth photos for Sth Pacific? I downloaded some for Vava’u and Fiji (Soggy paws) but could find any for rest of Sth Pacific.

Me too pls.

#19 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

https://mxmariner.com/
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#20 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationCruising Vanuatu

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

Typical cruising source, down loaded from another cruisers laptop, who had in turn got it from another cruiser.... About 10 GB worth. When I get back to NZ in November I will find a way to pass the data on to anyone who is interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users