Heat exchanger

Volvo 28.;Salt water comes in and thru H/Ex (for refrigerator) then to impeller pump on front of Volvo.Could I rig this for fresh water cool for engine and scrap refrigeration? Never seen this before. Means fresh water using only one pump

The question would be, is the heat exchanger big enough to handle engine cooling. The engine will produce a lot more heat than the fridge ever did. I assume the pump is raw water cooling the engine, but you mention "fresh water using only one pump" so I am not totally  clear on that part. If it is raw water cooling pump, then it should be moving enough water. If it is a pump for fridge, then it may not move enough.

So with one pump having done both jobs, that should be big enough. But I am of the same opinion was IT re the heat exchanger. They are not cheap to buy either and you would need to be cautious of anything second hand unless it can be assured it is in good nick.

if you are going to use freshwater to cool the engine you will need 2 pumps, one to pull the saltwater thru the heat exchanger, the other to circulate the freshwater thru the engine and to the heat exchanger.

These engines (2003 series) came with either raw or freshwater cooling. If you want to change it, get hold of a knackered freshwater cooled one, and fit the additional bits...

Oil cooler, heat exchanger, circulation pump and connection tubes. You can also remove the engine anode from the block, not needed in the freshwater one.

There are quite a few of these engines lying around now, a post on here asking is likely to find one for you.

Hi Matt, et-al.

Well I have the earlier 3000 series MD7B which is still a good runner but raw water cooled. I'm going to convert it to fresh water cooled.

So if you see a suitable heat exchange somewhere please let me know of you there is an outfit that could build one ?

chrs

• Upvote 1