17 replies to this topic

#1 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

A family member who lives on the island told me that the council is making Great Barrier '0 rubbish', which means there will be no rubbish barge this summer, nor any bottle collection facilities.

The locals have complained saying boaties will dump their rubbish, so they are looking at possibly a 1 morning a week collection service at Fitzroy....maybe.

They are starting to organise the school kids to begin cleaning the beaches late Jan if this happens.

I pointed out boaties are pretty good, she raised one eye brow and said Id be amazed at how much rubbish gets dumped up in the bushes which was disappointing to hear.

I have another family member who runs the rubbish barge but I cant get hold of him at the mo for more info.

This is basically the only council service I happy pay my rates for, the rest I pay through point of a gun.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#2 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

If true that is crap. We have a good sized rubbish locker but I still like to use the barge. See this is how we get treated when we are rich pricks.

Apparently the council has enough money for cross dressers at fashion week.

#3 Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

I heard the same story from the guys at the Glenfern Estate. 

"That which can be accepted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Hitchens

#4 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

And you know who will be blamed for any rubbish that is dumped around or near the water, whether true or not!!

#5 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 29 August 2019 - 05:42 PM

Like others we use the rubbish barge for smelly rubbish. This is another cheapskate 'savings' by Goof's mob....meanwhile they fleece berthholders and the consultant mates have a bottomless pit to plunder. This is a stupid petty hit on the so called 'rich' boaties

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#6 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

What services will be available over the busy summer holiday period?

There will be a new ‘visitor-pays’ summer service running for seven weeks from the end of December 2019 to early February 2020. Summer services will be available at Port Fitzroy wharf. A land-based drop-off point for boaties and visitors will be available at Port Fitzroy wharf. Fees will apply to incentivise visitors to sort and separate their waste. Visitors will need to purchase a pre-paid council rubbish bag or be able to pay at the drop-off point for the on-island disposal costs.

#7 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:08 PM

That really sucks. I love that garbage barge. Guess the dinghy just got a new name 😭.

That said, if I see any boaties dumping rubbish, they will get a peice of my mind plus free delivery of there trash back onto there boat.

#8 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:19 AM

Feel free to ring this servant of the community...

We turned up and went and bought a bag, put out black bag in it and added to the pile.

There was this big flash sign and then a huge pile of rubbish dumped where the recycling bins were. I had to laugh at the $400 fine if you dump rubbish sign where the bins used to be.

I sat there and ate my burger whilst the pile got bigger and bigger, half the folk coming in were not boaties but locals, some by car and they were not happy

Every local I spoke to was seething at the fact a pencil pushing idiot in a windowless room back in the city had changed the system.

Fitzroy in a blow is a dangerous place in my opinion.

What a joke.

Attached Files

• Attached File  GBRB.JPG   130.82KB   2 downloads

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#9 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

Meanwhile the Bay Of Island rubbish barge is still working.

https://www.nrc.govt...slands-boaties/

#10 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

Hi sorry for that, not sure what happened but there is the pic, now sideways....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users