29 replies to this topic

#1 strath

strath

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

Hi I am after a gas fitter to replace my gas line in Azure ( Farr 1020) 

Any recommendations?

#2 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

Good luck getting a gas fitter anywhere near a boat.

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:13 PM

DIY. Or be prepared to remove LPG from the boat, or pay $$$ to have a compliant system installed.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCruising New Caledonia

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:51 PM

Malcolm Pollard - Aquaplumb, 021950924

#5 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:55 AM

DIY. Or be prepared to remove LPG from the boat, or pay $$$ to have a compliant system installed.

I'm curious, if you removed LPG from the boat, what would you use instead;

Kero

Diesel,

Propane, and just get a jet boil?

Price of a diesel cooker is probably worth more than the boat. Kero I don't know so much about the cost of stoves, always used one camping as a kid. I understand propane is popular on race boats, doesn't sound any safer than an LPG set up, and must be a hassle if you want to go cruising for longer than one cup of tea.

Of course I'm ruling out electric with a genny as just hilariously silly (you need 230 volt to cook with don't you, can't get the current from a 12 v stove?)

Question is in the context of NZ's aging NZ built cruiser racer fleet, not new euro imports (which should have new and compliant systems anyway, right)

#6 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

D1004042.jpg

Canisters are cheap too

#7 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:03 AM

DIY. You can buy flexible LPG pipe and crimp it on myself.

#8 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

LPG gas hose, and crimps are available at Burnsco. You can use a pair of carpenters pliers to do the crimps...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#9 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:10 AM

I'm curious, if you removed LPG from the boat, what would you use instead;

Kero

Diesel,

Propane, and just get a jet boil?

Price of a diesel cooker is probably worth more than the boat. Kero I don't know so much about the cost of stoves, always used one camping as a kid. I understand propane is popular on race boats, doesn't sound any safer than an LPG set up, and must be a hassle if you want to go cruising for longer than one cup of tea.

Of course I'm ruling out electric with a genny as just hilariously silly (you need 230 volt to cook with don't you, can't get the current from a 12 v stove?)

Question is in the context of NZ's aging NZ built cruiser racer fleet, not new euro imports (which should have new and compliant systems anyway, right)

Quite a few boats now going with electric hobs, especially induction ones. You'll need a genset, or decent inverter with good charging systems though.

New boats are not built to NZ standards, and, unless going into survey, no-one checks.

#10 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:48 AM

Quite a few boats now going with electric hobs, especially induction ones. You'll need a genset, or decent inverter with good charging systems though.

New boats are not built to NZ standards, and, unless going into survey, no-one checks.

I thought that the implication was that if something happened that involved insurance and the gas setup didn't comply, you might not have a happy outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users