14 replies to this topic

#1 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

How do we get access to our wind station data without having to listen to advertising on the vhf or pay predictwind. Surely its public info?

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#2 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:42 AM

There is this 3 hourly surface data from metservice which inldues wind in km/hr, but I assume this isn't in a form useful enough for what you are after.

https://www.metservi...ly-observations

As a note, Predict wind have started adding several weather stations (wind) around the Hauraki Gulf. New additions are:

the Haystack

Browns Island

Orakei Light

Sentinal Tower (skyscraper in Takapuna)

And probably others that I haven't noticed cause they aren't interesting to me (Sealink HMB, Mangere Bridge etc).

These are all in addition to the metservice ones, so I assume they are private / PW ones. They show much higher resolution than the met-service ones.

Obviously its up to you if you want to pay for access, but PW are now differentiating what is available from what is tax payer funded / metservice data.

Anyone would think some large international birdboat racing regatta is coming to Auckland, and PW see commercial value in having lots of detailed weather stations about the place...

#3 eruptn

eruptn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationRotorua

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

This part of the NZ MetService web page shows lots of data: https://www.metservi...ns/your-weather

Attached Files

Ross 650 Farr 940

#4 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

As a note, Predict wind have started adding several weather stations (wind) around the Hauraki Gulf. New additions are:
the Haystack
Browns Island
Orakei Light
Sentinal Tower (skyscraper in Takapuna)

And probably others that I haven't noticed cause they aren't interesting to me (Sealink HMB, Mangere Bridge etc).

These are all in addition to the metservice ones, so I assume they are private / PW ones. They show much higher resolution than the met-service ones.

Obviously its up to you if you want to pay for access, but PW are now differentiating what is available from what is tax payer funded / metservice data.
Anyone would think some large international birdboat racing regatta is coming to Auckland, and PW see commercial value in having lots of detailed weather stations about the place...

Any thoughts on whether this is related to the demise of winddan? Seems coincidental that at the same time PW develops a much bigger interest in this stuff winddan disappears...

#5 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

Any thoughts on whether this is related to the demise of winddan? Seems coincidental that at the same time PW develops a much bigger interest in this stuff winddan disappears...

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of and wasn't using winddan before its demise, but it sounded like exactly what I was after, being able to view the wind in tabular form for a handful of weather stations at the same time, including ave, gust and direction. Not this metservice BS with km/h and averages etc.

So I can't really comment, but yes, money is suddenly being invested in high res wind stations all over the Hauraki Gulf. I'm surprised rough rock hasn't got one yet...

Freely available services don't normally align with the business objectives of people piling money into a certain area do they?

#6 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:33 PM

This is definitely related to missing winddans excellent service

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#7 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

Fish, from memory PW turned off its services to Joe Public during an AC, or that 10m racing thing they did during the big multi challenge. It is why I have never bought it.
But I have been thinking about it again for the last few years, and almost got myself over the line, ie I forgot thats what they did and why I didnt buy it in the first place.
Thanks for reminding me
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#8 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:08 PM

They turned off services you had paid for?

#9 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:14 PM

No I hadnt signed up for it but was going to. It was all pretty new.
But yes, they turned off the services to people who had paid and then said read your fine print when people complained.
Im pretty sure he was aligned with alinghi as the time and turned it off for all users when the 12 metres came down and raced. It was more Alnghi opposing the 12m racing whilst they fucked the whole thing up.
Which meant no one had access to inner harbour stuff.
It resonated with me as a cock thing to do, so refused to sign up to it.
Was years back, and Im happy to be proved wrong.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#10 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

Predict Wind is an awesome service, very accurate, and Jon Bilger is a great guy.

Not sure on all that history but I can't reccomend PW highly enough.

But hey, if you wanna hang a weather stone off the boom & use that for weather, go for it. 

Veladare, not you though, you should move on & join up!

When I die make sure my wife doesn't sell Bad Kitty for what I told her it cost!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users