14 replies to this topic

#11 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

Fish, from memory PW turned off its services to Joe Public during an AC, or that 10m racing thing they did during the big multi challenge. It is why I have never bought it.
But I have been thinking about it again for the last few years, and almost got myself over the line, ie I forgot thats what they did and why I didnt buy it in the first place.
Thanks for reminding me

Well, I've been using PW for a long time, maybe 10 years? I don't really know, and I've never had a problem with services I've paid for being removed. I have a very vague recollection of some of the free services being removed a long time ago, but I thought that was a 'loss leader' type promotion to get user sign up, i.e. a free trial period.

As the bad cat says, I find PW a good and accurate weather service. Runs rings around met service. And they have been quietly expanding options within their platform.

#12 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

Think what happened is PW had an existing arrangement with Alinghi when they started.  They did not initially have any warnings during their sign on process noting that existing commitments may mean the service would not always be available but once they realised it was going to be an issue for Auckland and the AC they included that in their sign up process.

Some didn't notice and some (me included) signed on before it was there.  Unsurprisingly, this did cause a degree of displeasure.  PW acknowledge and apologised for the issue to their credit and I changed from "decidedly annoyed" to "stuff ups happen, move on".

Good service I think,  quite a bit of the info is available elsewhere if you're prepared to hunt but the way they collate it all and present works for me so I stay with it.  Also helps that for their basic paid services, they substantially dropped the pricing a few years back

#13 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Mark, your version sounds better than mine...
BK, yea Im getting there, maybe in the next ten years or so..
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#14 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:34 PM

Thinking about the fact more stations are going in clearly for use in the next cup, will this mean paying users will again have services cut during the cup?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#15 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:13 PM

+1 for 4yrs of PW.

Some reassurance when  its when piping up.

Sometimes compare with Windguru and MS.

And, Weatherwatch for isomaps to ten days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users