13 replies to this topic

#11 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

I've ditched the gate idea, too hard to make it work with an internal track. 

We got inspiration from Nigel and Cory on Katana ( Sunfast 3600).

We're putting an eye bolt at the second spreader and rigging an prestretched 8mm dynex strop with a rigging screw at the base of the mast. 

It will work the same way as a separate trysail track, we can hoist the trysail on the topping lift or the main halyard. in addition its removeable, light and easy to rig. The Trysail will be rigged with soft hanks. 

I reckon its a good option. 

#12 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

This idea sounds good / interesting, and very easy to fit on a bunch of 'ordinary' boats.

Do you get the tri-sail cut to allow for some sag in the luff, or not bother?

i.e. are you expecting the dynex strop to have some sag in comparison to a fixed track, and would it make any difference to the sail performance? (that is in the context of needing to sail off a lee shore in nusty stuff etc)

#13 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Maybe. It will put significant compressive load on the rig between the anchor points, and is likely to vibrate, possibly substantially, in heavy conditions. IMO.

I'd rather just use a deep reef than this system without through testing....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#14 Tazzy Devil

Tazzy Devil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:27 PM

My boat has a track that runs harken external slides, about 40cm above boom height there is notch cut so you can feed a trysail with slugs internaly. Clever system. I went for 3 reefs in the main and the 3rd is very deep, but nice to have a trysail just in case (blown main or mast or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users