17 replies to this topic

#11 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

I had a basic st 2000 on a 36 ft Mitchell cat was fitted about 5ft along the tiller because that’s what was easy. Worked fine to keep course but i never tried to tack with it. Loads on the pilot were minimal.

#12 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:14 PM

Look up pelagic pilots they look good.

#13 BOIGuy

BOIGuy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

The Pelagic is worth looking at, I got one and am astounded at how well it controls the boat off the wind. More than happy to run spinnaker or gennaker with it under control in good breeze with waves. Lets you trim while the pilot steers. Couldn't do that safely before with the old tiller pilot.

Wireless Remote Control with 2, 10, 25 and 95 degree course change, can steer to wind too but I haven't got that set up yet. Adjustable response to course, and boat yaw response plus overall gain adjustment.

Not much dearer than a tiller pilot and in another league for performance. Very good email support from manufacturer, you can talk to them on the phone too if you need to - that's the people that actually develop and make them. 

https://www.scanmari...lagic-autopilot

Website a little bit confusing, would pay to email them about what you want, the remote is essential.

#14 Bradz

Bradz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

+1 for the Pelagic, we have the actuator running off B&G NAC3. This was to be a cheaper option before going to a hydraulic drive.

Very impressed so far, the hydraulic upgrade has been almost forgotten about.

#15 NZTiger

NZTiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationManukau

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:14 PM

I'll definitely check the Pelagic out.  Does the Pelagic setup require a separate base unit for wireless connectivity? or is it integrated into the standard setup? 

The website seems to sell a remote without a base unit.

#16 Bradz

Bradz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

I'd get in contact with them for any queries, very helpful and prompt reply, Brian is who you want to  get in touch with. pelagicautopilot@gmail.com

#17 NZTiger

NZTiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationManukau

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

I'd get in contact with them for any queries, very helpful and prompt reply, Brian is who you want to  get in touch with. pelagicautopilot@gmail.com

Thanks for that.  I'll give them a try.

#18 BOIGuy

BOIGuy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

The control head deals with everything, wireless remote included. Just note these pilots do not interface with your GPS etc, they will take a specific wind sentence in nmea 0183 for steer to wind. It also takes a bit to get your head around the adjustments, but if your setup is pretty standard the latest version will work straight out of the box. PM your email address I can send you a manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users