Mast removal

Hello all,

Sad to say that we need to move back to the states. I just received an offer on my Compass 790 from a couple of guys in Napier. They need to have the boat shipped down there.

I spoke with the guys at Boat Haulage and Pine Harbour. I need to have someone remove the mast for transport. Any suggestions?

Good sailing

Many many years ago I can reminder stepping a new mast.

After the lights went out in the Mt Wellington/ Panmure area, a ute with a trailer came out of a workshop in Morrin Rd and headed for the Panmure bridge I think we had the local cop in his car leading. On the Pakuranga side we offloaded and walked it to the center of the bridge, below was waiting a 45fter. The tide was on the flood so the boat was floated away from the wharf at Pamure Marine and under the bridge, we lifted the mast over the hand rail and swung it vertical and dropped thru the deck. Once back to the wharf the rigging was fitted.

The good old days when you could give the local a beer and nothing was a problem. :wink: :shh:

Do it yourself at the gantry at P H

Take you all of an hour

Back off the side stays on your berth then motor over to the gantry, put a strop around the mast and under the spreaders then take up the weight, remove rigging winch out

best done just after high tide.

Er, it pays to check if yours is a deck stepped or keel stepped mast. If it's deck stepped, don't take any stays off until you're at the gantry and the mast is supported, but if it's keel stepped you can pretty much undo everything before going to the gantry provided you're not going far with it like that. You can undo any wiring prior. Take the boom off prior to going to the gantry too. Tie all your halyards to the mast prior to the gantry. When you get to the gantry, get the sling around the mast as mentioned before, whip the stays off, yank the mast out and Bob's yer uncle. But there'll be a rigger there, it won't cost much to get them to do the last bit for you. Then depending on how you're sending it down country, make up a couple of cradles to hold the mast on top of the boat.

Theres no rigger at PH and it's only halfway across the marina to the gantry,

What I was meaning by backing off the rigging is it maybe very tight so free it up before you get there and then all you need is a couple of mates for a hour maybe less

Archived