122 replies to this topic

#41 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:39 PM

Correct , all of the above only applies to deep water
Once a wave feels the bottom everything changes, but you can't understand those changes till you understand the steady state in deep water.
The study of ocean waves is fascinating but they are hard buggers to study as it's hard to find somewhere to stand.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#42 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Is there any understanding of what happened to the boat yet?

I fully understand if the survivors can't / don't want to talk about it.

It is curious though that there is no indication.

Generally through the process of issue a distress call and conducting a rescue the general nature of the issue becomes apparent, for example broken rig puncturing hull. 

Given the very little information to hand (i.e. that the boat sunk) and that the crew ended up in the water, would that indicate something catastrophic happened very quickly?

#43 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12276972

#44 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:05 AM

Very sad for all concerned but its a testament to how our good our rescue services are. Only one person died thankfully and it's important to keep perspective, considering how many people die each day from accidents on land. Only a few years ago they all may have perished, we can be thankful for accurate GPS, plb's and as mentioned excellent emergency services.

Lesson for me is keep the grab bag handy with a plb/epirb, lifejackets and practice what to do, even then there is luck involved and in this case getting tangled and drowning was just a roll of the dice.

Would not be surprised if the boat had a grid delam/keel issue. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#45 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:11 AM

https://youtu.be/3h1wh1Xc_-I

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#46 Addem

Addem

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

Sorry Mate, not even close.

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12277520

I’ve never done an ocean crossing but have always wondered about the strength of windows, especially on those big cats.

#47 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,044 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

So Addem, what does it say - I dont subscribe to the herald....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#48 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

I’ve never done an ocean crossing but have always wondered about the strength of windows, especially on those big cats.

Sorry dont subscribe, was it windows? 

#49 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Hi Addem, the article is behind a paywall. Any chance you could give us a summary of the facts?

#50 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,044 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

Mate, it was a Bravaria Oceans 47, not a cat. Had serious water ingress issues, but as yet we dont know why. The initial mayday reported about an hour left before she sank, which she did, so seems accurate at this point.

Unfortunately, storms in October reasonably often claim a boat or two coming down from the islands. IMO this is one of the most dangerous passages many cruisers ever do.

Sad story. I wait to see if the rest of us can learn something from it.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users