#11 Kestrahl

Kestrahl

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationLangkawi/Phuket

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:25 AM

Its an impossible question to answer as it depends on the conditions the sail ends up being used in. 

I did UV testing on different dacrons which had some interesting results, just from UV alone some dacrons these days would only do around 20,000 miles ( 65% daylight sailing, 35% night sailing ) in the tropics before they tear like tissue, and this is only from UV and not fluttering or actually using the sail sailing, so real life would be less. I suspect some companies are using yarns from China without any UV inhibitors. A good dacron sail should do at least 50,000, and Hydra-Net a lot more. DP had a Hydra-Net sail they were showing off at boatshows which had done over 200,000. Of course none of the woven sails hold the shape that great, but most cruisers are okay with that as they spend the majority of the time reaching and running. 

Our spectra cruising laminate mainsail only did around 10,000-15,000 before the you could tear the taffeta with your fingernails, but it still had a good shape for racing and no de lamination. 

#12 wal

wal

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:48 AM

When I make them they last forever.

Really truly!

Buy Honest Wal's Flappy Bits!!

Wal'

The combination of careful conservatism and out-of-control wishful thinking common to the male of the species

#13 1paulg

1paulg

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAuckland ,NZ

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:41 AM

Pleased with my Hydranet - still plenty of life after 28000nm -had the stitching re done as the cloth had outlived the stitching but was well worth it. 

Know of 2 friends who had hi tech cruising laminates that just lasted 4 years (full time cruising)- both have gone to Hydranet .

Would definitely be top of my list for replacement if I were needing to do so.

#14 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

My main is Hydranet
Genoa is cruiselam

The best sailors do it two handed

#15 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

When I make them they last forever.

Really truly!

Buy Honest Wal's Flappy Bits!!

They better....

#16 wal

wal

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

Oh but not when it's you though

I've seen you sail.......

Wal'

The combination of careful conservatism and out-of-control wishful thinking common to the male of the species

#17 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

Do any of the main sail makers use Hydranet as standard?  and what is the premium?

#18 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:32 PM

Do any of the main sail makers use Hydranet as standard?  and what is the premium?

The cloth is expensive but worth it if you are planning some miles.  Talk to Dave Parr (Waldo) at Calibre Sails, he's done quite a few.  021 782 764

#19 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

Evolution did mine

The best sailors do it two handed

#20 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

LR. Love it. On a headssail some 1000s more. Do shop around.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users