12 replies to this topic

#1 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

Has anybody used this product? I have recently seen a boat painted with it using the roll and tip method about 15 years ago and still looks great however it was painted by a pro so I’m curious if many/any amateurs have had any success?

If so any tips? Most info I have seen suggests roll and tip but the tin says tipping may not be necessary...

#2 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:21 AM

Yep, sure have.
I rolled and tipped. Depends on the finish. Rolling only leaves a good finish, but tipping leaves a finish that resembles spraying.

#3 Addem

Addem

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:27 AM

Yes. Very disappointed. It’s too soft to use on a boat. After 2 years we have nicks and scratches and patches all over. Perhaps a pro might have done a better job but I can think what we did wrong. We measured properly and observed Redpath times. The undercoat is harder than the topcoat.

#4 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:48 AM

You have to let it react for x minutes (15?) also temperature and must use the right type and amount of reducer. Ive got elite on mine, its extremely hard and looks mint after 10 years.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#5 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

My deck and topsides were done in it 10ish years ago and its still looking good. Its started loosing its gloss in places now, but overall I've been very happy with it.

Like Wheels said, brush and tip gives a spray like finish

#6 Marshy

Marshy

DayStar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:52 AM

Used it on the inside of the sunburst a few years back - was pretty impressed how easy to use. and lasted well.

<p>Marshy - I may have gone to the Darkside, but I'm loving the VMG to windward....

#7 Abel Seaman

Abel Seaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

I have used it over lots of my topsides with just a brush.  (Areas between non slip patches are two narrow even for a little roller in places!)

Get it mixed and thinned right and it flows out nicely. Have also used roller and tipped off. Also good.

Well better than toplac for example.

I painted under my heads with it and as expected gave a good high gloss easy clean finish.

The fumes were too much even with ventilation. If using interior get the right respirator! 

#8 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

Thanks all for the advice. Ended up rolling it on with foam rollers after talking to a boat builder who had used the product. Sounded simple so I went with that.. worked ok. Certainly passes the boat length rule imo.

I painted the window frames with a brush and the finish was much better so I would probably try roll and tip next time. Thats if god forbid I get the crazy notion to paint a boat again.

Any way, with this weather it is bloody nice to be back in the water...

Attached Files

#9 MartinRF

MartinRF

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:21 AM

Looks good to me.

/Martin

#10 carpenter29

carpenter29

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationGulf Harbour

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

Looks great
Boat is sold, looking for a new one. Hopefully an Elliott 1050.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users