Sealink Ferry Map / Warning System

Exactly, existing users, 2000 almost, but hey they are going to put traffic lights up for us.  Wait until the other entrance is closed, almost need a roundabout at the eastern end as it is.

I should probably have said any "increase in supply..."  Even in a monopolist system an increase in supply changes the competitive landscape in a positive way.

Even a monopolist has to compete with you choosing to own a trailer boat or to keep your boat on a swing mooring. If there is an unsatisfied demand for marina berths from people willing to pay current prices (e.g. people on swing moorings who would pay for a berth if they could get one), an increase in supply will meet that demand (this is why I said only "perhaps"). But if the increase in supply exceeds the demand at the current price, marina owners have an incentive to lower their prices in order to fill enough berths to generate the revenue needed to justify their cost of capital.

Of course the flaw in this argument is when the monopolist is the government. They can lose money as long as they like, until voters decide to do something about it.

So here are the helpful hints on how to make sure the Sealink ferries don't have any problems obstructing the existing 2000+ users of what will soon be the only entrance.

https://www.westhaven.co.nz/sealink/

So we already have the ferries coming in and out to refuel and dock, no traffic lights or 100 meter exclusion zone. Why do do we need one for these?

Why is their loading zone being setup perpendicular to the entrance?

DF you should know better than to ask perfectly rational questions regarding the wharf alignment but the truth will lay in what developments are to come north of the new Sealink site. This is a permanent facility not just a temporary relocation for AC purposes.

Shambles indeed. What happens when a trailer yacht without a motor using the ramp by Z Pier comes in or out of the entrance? Is there going to be maneuvering room under sail?

Setting aside the idiocy of locating the ramp in that particular location for the moment, the alignment makes sense. It uses a minimum of shoreline. To align the ramp so that vessels are parallel to the shore would remove usable access for the other commercial operators.

Now, locating an operator that requires the entire entrance to one of the largest recreational marinas in the world to manoeuvre vessels is indicative of poor governance

• Upvote 2

Adding to the chaos the Western exit entry closes permanently very soon.

When I questioned the Panukites about what other single exit entry marinas the have visited a chorused reply of Marina del Rey rang out.

Crikey aren’t most marinas in the North Island single entry exit so why example one located in Los Angeles unless they had been on a costly foreign juncket.

Just point out to GH how much WH appreciated their liveaboards after the recent storm.

I recently had a long conversation about exactly that with the new commercial manager and the ops manager at GH.

I think it’s a slow burn but their new commercial manager (Tony Sparks) seems to be a decent guy and not just a good listener to customer feedback but a timely decision-maker too. So if he sticks around for a while I could see some positive shifts - let’s be realistic big organisations like marinas move slowly - but he certainly seems to be capable and well intentioned in my dealings with him to date (on a few specifics which I won’t go into here).

Ok, not sure if I am suffering from oldtimers memory, exiting and reentering Westhaven yesterday I could swear the clearance between the super yacht docks and the southern end of the inside edge of the break water had shrunk?? It looks like the super yacht berths have been extended to the north based on some newer looking wood on the edges. Am I correct or just losing my mind??

On the topic of punuku and superyachts:

It is concerning that someone responsible such large budgets and financial decisions has both such poor attention to detail,and seemingly poor short term memory...

An Auckland Council agency chief executive's explanation of a luxury hospitality trip accepted from a property developer, has been apparently contradicted by emails he received prior to travel.

Roger MacDonald, who heads Panuku Development, claimed he had not realised until the day that the sailing trip in the Bay of Islands, Northland, on a superyacht owned by Tawera Group's Mike Mahoney, included a private helicopter flight from Auckland.

However, correspondence obtained by Stuff showed two emails from Mahoney to MacDonald, sent a week before the trip, referred to both the location of the helipad, and the departure time for the "chopper". A spokesperson for MacDonald responded by saying he "didn't recall" reading the invitation.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/115357116/auckland-council-agency-boss-claims-no-memory-of-invite-for-helicopter-flight-to-superyacht