Davidson 28 Rudder Lore

Hi crew,

Half of Auckland mentions they used to sail a D28 and ask me which rudder I have when they hear I sail one. The popular take is that there were multiple variations made to improve the original rudder, many of these being DIY efforts. From what I hear many were extending the leading edge forward to give it some balance as the design I have is pretty much in line with the pivot point.

I can't find much trace of the Davidson 28 association as it seems to have faded away before I acquired mine. Does anyone have any info on what people were doing with rudders? Drawing, patterns, moulds, etc?

Any other knowledge about the class is appreciated too!

Cheers

Can't comment on what people have done but here's a little historical titbit.

I spoke to Dave Blundell once and he told me the design brief to LD was for a wholesome gulf cruiser designed without regard to rule, and to look like a small Riada. I've seen that in print somewhere too.

None of those rudders are balanced. A boat with a balanced rudder is much nicer to sail....

Mm so I have heard. I'd love to have a go at building an alternative if I can find the right guidance on shape etc. Really hoping to dig up some details of others that were done successfully for this class.