#1 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:33 AM

Hi guys

Long time no see. I've had four children since I last posted properly and now they are now all sailing opti's! So a lot of time has gone by.  

After 10+ years of being boatless, I am lucky enough to be helping look after my father's Logan 33 which we have recently moved to Milford Marina.

It draws just over 60cm - it's a gorgeous boat and we want to get out and use it more.

I am trying to get a handle on the tides and depths at the entrance.

Is there any simple answer as to the time either side of high tide we are going to be okay to get in and out? 

Or am I going to have to get my calculator out....  which has all sorts of possibilities for ways to go wrong. 

Advice appreciated! 

Zoe 

#2 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

Hi zoe, good to see you are still alive. If you learn the rule of twelfths you can do it in your head using a tide table
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#3 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

Okay I have googled that, will have a go, thank you!

Yes still alive. Very happy to be back in the boating world! 

#4 Adrianp

Adrianp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

In the Piedy with 1.4m draft, we used to plan on 2 hours before high tide and 1.5hrs after high. We touched a few times at the 2hr before high so seemed pretty accurate! 

Formally Freeeeeeeeeedom but we've got our new boat - Lady Nada - https://sailingladyn...wordpress.com/ 

#5 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

Hi zoe, good to see you are still alive. If you learn the rule of twelfths you can do it in your head using a tide table

The rule of 12ths is the best tide aid I know of. Works everywhere, even when there are no tables. And accurate enough for practical use. I really cant understand why no-one teaches this on any of the courses I've done. (NZCG, RYA, etc)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#6 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

If you only draw 60cm, then you should fine any time above half tide.

More info here: https://www.milfordc...ary-tidal-sill/

(Aside: I was taught rule of twelfths on my Coastguard Boarmaster course.)

#7 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:40 AM

Nothing like coming into Milford going bumpity bump a few times and actually making it :)

#8 wal

wal

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:45 AM

Four?!?

Haven't you got a television?  :razz:

Nice to hear from you again

Wal'

The combination of careful conservatism and out-of-control wishful thinking common to the male of the species

#9 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

Thanks everyone, the 'any time above high tide' sounds like a good rule of thumb to me and my mathematically incapable brain.

Wal, we have a TV and numerous iPads to keep them busy but weird thing is they want to be outside! 

#10 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone, the 'any time above high tide' sounds like a good rule of thumb to me and my mathematically incapable brain.
Wal, we have a TV and numerous iPads to keep them busy but weird thing is they want to be outside!

I don’t think that’s what he meant, Zoe! 😊

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users