30 replies to this topic

#11 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:04 PM

thx. I need to pass that on to the maritime unit.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#12 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

A dinghy was stolen out of the Weiti dinghy lockers. The guy who's dinghy it was re-purchased it off trademe, and in so doing obtained the name and address of the thief (and also a third party who was handling stolen property).

The police weren't interested, said there was insufficient evidence.

The insurance co had paid out on the dinghy (it was a rib), so effectively it was a civil problem for the insurance co.

Personally, I was surprised the guy claimed on the insurance (risk of premiums being hit next year) but then, my dinghy is in such bad state I couldn't give it away (it was right next to the one that was knicked...

From the Police's point of view, this wasn't an invasion of someones home, there was no breaking and entering, the cost of the item was covered (insurance), it was easily replaced, and while it was stolen, it wouldn't be hard for the perpetrator to say he 'found it' drifting or abandoned etc and didn't know it was stolen, etc etc.

I'm not saying I agree with the Police, but there is serious crime, crime and petty crime. With the WH CCTV, what would it prove? someone was in a public area? You get a picture of the purp, then what? These things are easy to wriggle out of...

#13 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:37 PM

Hi

You might like to be aware that there is a thief around on the piles. My boat was broken into and the GPS and Autohelm was stolen within the last few days.

Be wary ! Was very kind of the b#$#@^& to leave a set of sailing gloves.

Bugga!

Thanks for headsup.

Was there much damage breaking in?

Did it appear like they knew what they were doing, professional?

Like cordless grinders etc.

#14 The big T

The big T

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:05 AM

Burden of proof is the issue. Had work a car broken into in a locked work parking area - an unauthorised car with strangers seen on camera with number plate shown following another car in, but as no one actually saw them break in, no action.

#15 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:40 AM

A dinghy was stolen out of the Weiti dinghy lockers. The guy who's dinghy it was re-purchased it off trademe, and in so doing obtained the name and address of the thief (and also a third party who was handling stolen property).

The police weren't interested, said there was insufficient evidence.

The insurance co had paid out on the dinghy (it was a rib), so effectively it was a civil problem for the insurance co.

Personally, I was surprised the guy claimed on the insurance (risk of premiums being hit next year) but then, my dinghy is in such bad state I couldn't give it away (it was right next to the one that was knicked...

From the Police's point of view, this wasn't an invasion of someones home, there was no breaking and entering, the cost of the item was covered (insurance), it was easily replaced, and while it was stolen, it wouldn't be hard for the perpetrator to say he 'found it' drifting or abandoned etc and didn't know it was stolen, etc etc.

I'm not saying I agree with the Police, but there is serious crime, crime and petty crime. With the WH CCTV, what would it prove? someone was in a public area? You get a picture of the purp, then what? These things are easy to wriggle out of...

Insufficient evidence? Can someone legally initiated confirm this scenario?

I spose rich boaties losing toys are not a priority given the heinous other things that we are inflicting apon each other these days.

We are just asking for it dangling them off poles by a rope anyways.

Fishy fishy fishy.

And, wtfwyt, chasing down your stolen property?

We're the Police.

Just choking on my acrylamide.

#16 1paulg

1paulg

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationAuckland ,NZ

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:04 AM

2 weeks ago I arrived at my boat in Bayswater to find all the lights had been left switched on (Incl nav , steaming etc) and my batteries dead flat - it just happened to coincide with a period that the Marina were having maintenance done on the Shore Power and it was switched off centrally.  On the small table between the 2 helm seats was a tray from inside the saloon with a cigarette butt (used).  It appears someone (possibly a group) came onboard , found the key , went inside and turned everything on then had a little party in the cockpit (there was just 1 beer bottle top on the floor) .  It is very weird as nothing was taken .

What was disappointing was that the security  who are supposed to check each Pier each night didn't think that a boat with all its lights on right through the night (and day) for 3 nights was unusual -or the liveaboards for that matter. 

The CCTV camera is unfortunately set up so it only sees people heading down the dock -not boarding my boat - the Marina staff did go through it but didn't come up with anything .  It does raise a few questions of security and procedures and was disappointing to the Marina Staff as well as me.

To be fair my batteries were of the age that they were coming up for replacement in the next year but it is frustrating that something like this happened. My insurance excess is also set high to keep costs down .

Bit of a wake up call on onboard security as well...

#17 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:10 AM

The new buiding on College Hill

Dates and time of the event please, and pile number? Thx.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#18 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

It's interesting that Westhaven and by extension, Auckland City, doesn't care about a theif active on the property they manage.
Failure to maintain law is the cause of vigilante action.

#19 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:29 AM

It's interesting that Westhaven and by extension, Auckland City, doesn't care about a theif active on the property they manage.
Failure to maintain law is the cause of vigilante action.

And, I thought the whole reason they've locked everyone out of the marina, with closed gate access, making it very difficult for race crew to get on board, was to prevent incidence like this.

Looks like the closed gates are about as useful as tits on a bull.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:20 AM

It would surprise me if  the Westhaven Marina security, are not investigating this on behalf of their customer, as they should be,  and could be for all I know,  after all they may have the key to the offence and offenders sitting on their camera system,  which is probably about to overwrite itself and lose any possible footage forever, unless they have saved the footage.  Surely the customer whose boat was broken into, is entitled to have access to the camera footage for the relevant period of time.

Twisty is more than entitled to, and should do without delay, request any information from the marina management about any internal investigation they have conducted post the complaint, into the crime and whether or not there was actual CCTV footage of the break in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users