#31 Rats

Rats

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the comments thus far, we have made enquiries of the offshore owner and hope to hear back shortly.

For instance we do not know if the boat was built for them and supplied directly to them or if it spent time here in NZ and was subsequently sold.

The moving offshore etc lines of thinking will not work for us, we both reside in Auckland and will be happy to sail it back on her own bottom if the numbers work out.

Will keep you updated on the developments.

Course is defined as the direction you wish to go and from which the wind is blowing.

#32 Rats

Rats

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

So I asked Customs the question here is the rather vague reply, so another query perhaps more specific will have to be made.

Thank you for your enquiry.

To meet the terms of returning NZ goods and import the boat free of Customs duty and GST, the boat will need to be readily identifiable (i.e. marked or numbered), the exporter and importer must be the same person, the goods must be in substantially the same condition and export entry details must be provided as evidence of the export (to confirm boat was not a GST free sale for export).

From what you have stated, the boat will not qualify for the above and will be subject to Customs charges on importation into New Zealand as per the below.

If the boat was manufactured in New Zealand, it can be imported into New Zealand free of Customs duty. However your shipment will be subject to Goods and Services Tax (15%). The GST is payable on the sum of the cost of the goods plus insurance and freight to get the goods to New Zealand (no freight/insurance charge if vessel sailed under its own power to NZ). Your shipment will also be subject to an Import Entry Transaction fee of $55.71 NZD.

Course is defined as the direction you wish to go and from which the wind is blowing.

#33 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:29 AM

Doesn't seem promising. One thing I didn't see mentioned above in a quick flick through the thread is if importing from AU there is no duty payable due to CER (closer economic relations) treaty. This may also be this case with other countries we have trade or similar agreements with, I only looked into AU.

#34 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

Doesn't seem promising. One thing I didn't see mentioned above in a quick flick through the thread is if importing from AU there is no duty payable due to CER (closer economic relations) treaty. This may also be this case with other countries we have trade or similar agreements with, I only looked into AU.

no duty from Australia

#35 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:19 PM

no duty from Australia

Might want  to check that out first,

https://customsdutyf...ax-exemptions-2

Austtralia does not appear on list

New Zealand – Free trade agreements and tax exemptions

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#36 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:54 PM

My comment that there is no duty payable if bringing in from Australia is based on my experience when bringing in a boat I bought there 3 years ago. Ymmv.

#37 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:40 PM

Might want  to check that out first,

https://customsdutyf...ax-exemptions-2

Austtralia does not appear on list

New Zealand – Free trade agreements and tax exemptions