#1 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:10 AM

Boat came with the belt for compressor removed.
Therefore presume there is a fault.? Worth investigating? Tending to replace with 12v setup. Jaycar has 35/40L for $400

#2 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:53 AM

Fridge or Freezer or both? What volumes?

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

Depends whats wrong, and if anyone local will service it. Ist thing would be to check if it has any gas in it - take off the caps on one of the valves on the compressor, and press the center bit - like a bike or car tyre valve usually. If there is no hiss of escaping gas its probably empty. If it does not have a valve like that, its a bit more complex.... 

Have a look, then if needed post a pic...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

If you are going 12 v don’t get a heat/cool type they are useless. I have had plenty of Engel waeco type 12 v compressor fridges and they have all been great and trouble free even some that are over 25 years old. Plenty available second hand too.

#5 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

I recently replaced my old compressor driven fridge with a 12V one from Fridgetech. It works a treat - nice cold beers! No longer have to spend $300+ every other season to regas. 😀

#6 whitepointer

whitepointer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

i purchased a waeco CFX 40 as a back up extra fridge, works a treat, very easy on the power

#7 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:39 PM

Do not buy the waeco tropica??cold/warm useless,as above the waeco cfx 40 is the way to go.can leave running all day/night no problem but like every others chiller food/drink needs to cold first for best result.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#8 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:00 AM

Agree with those above. Alternatively, if you wanted to use the existing fridge compartment one of these could be a good idea?

https://www.burnsco....dge/freezer-kit

#9 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:40 AM

I’m the NZ agent for Ozefridge.

The main issue with cabinet retrofit is insulation quality and thickness. Also, cabinet leaks - penetrations, seals, etc. It does not matter if you buy a cheap plate style unit like the burnsco one above, or a decent twin tank eutectic type, if the cabinet is not well insulated. Insulation degrades over time, but how fast depends on cabinet design, seals, and condition.

For anyone wanting to make a good job of this, send me an email or pm, and I’ll give you some info on testing cabinets heat loss, using a block of ice.

Or you can read it on the Ozefridge website - in the cabinet ideas section.

Thin plate systems have little hold over capability - they will run more than a good eutectic (holdover) system.

Boats tend to have two states of available electricity - feast or famine. Good systems will use power when it’s plentiful, so they don’t have to run for the longest possible time when it’s not. This, of course, is more important in a cruiser out for longer periods, than it is in a day or weekend boat.

The reason that some of the compressor driven bin units work pretty well is down to their insulation.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#10 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

I have a Waeco CFX 35 on board and it seems to work well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users