#11 carpenter29

carpenter29

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationGulf Harbour

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

So is the general convention that a 40 foot boat is taken as a 12m? Or do the marines enforce this rigidly. Seems to me that a 40 footer should be able to go on a 12m berth as they are there or thereabouts. It would seem quite wasteful to have to put a 40 footer on a 13.5m berth!

Boat is sold, looking for a new one. 

#12 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:56 PM

I’ve usually found a 40 footer is ok on a 12m berth but it all depends on overhangs, marina management and even how you position your boat when you tie it up - if you draw attention to yourself with a big anchor overhanging the jetty plus a boat positioned too far forward your going to invite curiosity and tape measures. But I’ve seen people take their anchors off the bow roller and tie as far back as possible to fit.

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#13 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

Older marinas were generally built to fit a boat of the notional size. Now the berth size is just that - the size of the berth, you need to deduct 0.5-1.00m for the boat size to fit.

Westpark/Hobsonville has the most "generous" berths I have come across, I have seen a 15m yacht in a 14m berth there. 

#14 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

Westhaven physically measured our boat to make sure it was 12m.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users