#1 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

Apparently the Auckland Harbourmaster has increased mooring fees by $50 to cover the cost of dealing with abandoned vessels.

Auckland's ghost ships: Number of abandoned vessels surge - and boaties are footing the bill

Mooring fees have increased $50 to cover the costs or removing abandoned boats from Auckland's waters.

Hundreds of ghost ships litter Auckland's waters and require recovery, costing ratepayers hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Auckland Harbourmaster Andrew Hayton said when he started in the role over eight years ago they were plucking

#2 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:01 PM

Thats a shame they used a picture of what appears to be an old Wylo 11 a great seagoing design.

#3 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

There's no way I'd pay to read anything in the Herald.

#4 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

There's no way I'd pay to read anything in the Herald.

There was an international article in the Herald the other day. I googled the teaser paragraph and the exact same article came up free on another news website (might have been NY times). I was quite surprised they are just middlemen for some of there content which they clip the ticket for, but is available for free anyway.

#5 The big T

The big T

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

Seems on the nose that responsible boat owners are penalised for the lack of ability of Councils staff to maintain an accurate database of its mooring holders and boats occupying moorings in terms of the permits it issues and charges for. Surely a requirement that all moored boats need annual proof of insurance would sort this as a condition of the permit - as happens with marinas. Keep boat standards up and maintain an annual link with mooring holders aside from an annual invoice.

#6 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

Perhaps lodging a bond which would cover disposal might be an idea. Forcing insurance would just mean premiums go up.

#7 BOIGuy

BOIGuy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:34 AM

How is forcing insurance going to reduce abandoned boats, more likely to increase numbers abandoned.

If you cant afford to or don't want to maintain a boat your going to be hardly inclined to try get insurance for it.

I like the bond idea, but an amount sufficient to cover costs incurred might be a little bit high.

Bit like the Bio security charge in Northland, no benefit to boaties above that of the general population but boaties get the full costs because the council can target them easily.

#8 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:10 AM

The bond idea is appealing, but it would have to be pretty significant. I remember another thread with disposal cost estimates. 5k? 10k?

#9 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

Agree. If you want to rent (i.e. occupy) a house you invariably have to pay a bond. The same principle applies to occupying a piece of the harbour. I am all for appropriate measures to force abandoned, derelict boats off moorings and marinas so as to release the much needed space for others to use. Question is how much should a bond be?

#10 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

On the other hand, if you want to abandon a boat you hardly need to put it on a mooring to do so...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users