12 replies to this topic

#1 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

For those that are working for themselves, do any of you have any idea of what you have to earn, to be equal to what a wage would be equal to if you worked for someone else.
In otherwords, when we work for ourselves, we have a higher tax rate, provisional tax, ACC, Insurance and Accountant costs.
I will leave out the cost of Rent and Insurance ob a building as that is too open ended,

#2 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:50 AM

At a guess I’d say at least 20% more, maybe even 25%
However you can put a percentage of your household costs as businesses expenses if you have a good accountant, but that’s another expense
Maybe it’s 30 but should really be 50% more as you also need to factor in holidays

The best sailors do it two handed

#3 jim s

jim s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

as a self employed contractor you need to be payed around 30 to 35% more than a wage earner to end up the same at the end of the year (holidays,the odd sick day stats acc levies cost of accountancy etc). There will be a bit of a variation if the wage earner is regularly on penal rates.I have a spreadsheet that shows the costs and comparisons of being self employed (albeit 10 years old) that i can pm to you if you like wheels.There is a lot of bigger picture stuff involved too like whether you are looking at a short or long term prospect and even how much it would cost to get to work, and if you like record keeping and paperwork...

#4 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

I reckon 35-50% wheels. Costs of compliance now are more than they used to be.... and rising.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

Anything less than 50% why would you bother.

#6 Luigi Vercotti

Luigi Vercotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

As a contract engineer, the going rate used to be double the staff hourly rate. That's slipped a little but 150% would be my "giz a job"* point.
* Acknowledgement to Alan Bleasdale.

#7 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

Thanks guys. Those figures are about spot on to what I was thinking. I was trying to argue this with a guy and told him that if he is currently earning say $50K on wages and wants to keep that kind of income while working for yourself, you need to earn about $100K. I also said that if he was not earning $80K, he may as well go work for minimum wage for someone. He is currently setting his max earning at $60K because he doesn't want the hassle of GST. I told him he is wasting his time.
I also told him that yr 2 is the real killer for most newbies because if you did well in year 1, you will have provisional tax kick in in yr2 and often a large tax bill to pay if you haven't set aside money for tax. It is not easy these days, as all you self employed already know.

#8 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:55 PM

in the industry I am in(trucking)I do not get why you would want to be an owner driver with all the expenses.When a wage/company driver can earn $80k  easily + holidays ,time n half on stat days + sick days  and dont care about the gear they driving.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#9 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

I wish drivers would care about the gear they were driving......the longer it lasts, the more I can pay them.....

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#10 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

I wish drivers would care about the gear they were driving......the longer it lasts, the more I can pay them.....

exactly our temps do not care,luckily now I have my own dedicated daf+trailer,the hours I work it cannat be used by anyelse but when on holiday it comes back a pig sty.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users