8 replies to this topic

#1 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:44 AM

The boat in the photo below was removed from a pile mooring today Friday 10 Jan at 4.30am, the club members who owns this boat are away overseas and we can’t get hold of them. The erratic behaviour of the people removing the boat is suspicious plus they were using/towing a black aluminium dinghy about 3 - 3.5m long with black outboard with an extension arm.  A car with a throaty exhaust was also heard leaving the club around this time.

The boat is called Wairaka, it is an 8m Own Wolley launch, if you see this boat please call the Police first on 111 and then Katie at Weiti Boating Club on 021 1175 176.

Attached Files

#2 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

I hope this is not related... https://www.tvnz.co....ulfed-in-flames

#3 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

any update??

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#4 Chloe

Chloe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:45 AM

This boat drove past me on my mooring last week at Jamieson bay in the Maharangi. Had a young bloke about late 20's driving. from the flying deck. 

don't know where it went after that but have passed on the message to a couple off mates that are in the area.

#5 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

Good stuff Chloe,

It has been confirmed the boat is stolen. There is an active Police investigation. This is the first sighting I am aware of after it left the Weiti River at 4:30 am on Friday 10th. It was also independently  sited leaving the river, and ran aground on the sand bar, but got off quickly...

Chloe, It would be great if you could contact the Police on 105 and pass on what details you have. I have private messaged you the case number.

So far there have been 388 shares on social media, so the boating community is really taking an interest in this and are being pro-active in doing what they can to help.

#6 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

We are pretty sure the boat in flames behind little barrier was the stolen one from Weiti. Pretty sad for the owners. The police are aware of the situatiin I think. Hopefully the cretins will be caught.

#7 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12300039

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#8 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

Wow. That was pure idle speculation on my part. What a shame.

I hope this is not related... https://www.tvnz.co....ulfed-in-flames

#9 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:28 AM

Low lifes, hopefully this isnt going to be a thing- stealing boats is ridiculously easy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users