bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

Hi,

Our deck wash-down pump has died after only 18 months and very little use (maybe 30 times). The pressure switch is kaput - actual pump itself is fine.

It is a Seaflo pump from Burnsco. I had hoped to get the switch as a part but does not look like that is going to happen. I also looked into Sureflow - and they do not seem to supply parts for there pumps either. Are pumps a throw away item these days.

Parts availability aside I am disappointed with how short this pump lasted.

Anyone care to recommend a new brand with better reliability, parts and support?

Cheers

Al

#2 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:59 PM

You should get a replacement or refund. It has to be "fit for purpose." Don't let them BS you about 12 month warranty.

#3 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:08 PM

I agree with Kevin, this is Consumer Guarantees Act application.

Unfortunately all of these pumps are pretty much throw away and pressure switches have always been a problem. I tried to get a replacement motor for a Jabsco pump a while ago but no luck. Those Seaflows are a cheap knock off pump

I suggest looking at a Johnson Pump as a replacement, they seem to be a bit more robust

#4 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:11 PM

Thanks. I started to look into warranty - Shurflow 2 years. Jabsco 3 years. That's probably a good indicator....Buy once cry once.

#5 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

They get away with it due us the consumer not screaming loud enough.

brought a marine item a few years ago that wasn't fit for purpose,store tried the warranty thing and said I need to go to supplier. "Really ,what time do you close today as I have all the time in the world to discredit your store and products to potential customers".Money back

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#6 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:42 AM

My deck wash bucket is up to 19 years and going strong.

I've looked for a pressure switch on it, can't find one. Not sure if its defective, but it still washes the deck just fine :-)

#7 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

I like to have a deck wash hose available near the cockpit. In the case of a fire inside at least you have a chance of putting it out from the companionway without going into the smoke. With an extinguisher you need to be pretty close to make a difference and if the boat is already full of smoke that may not be possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users