#11 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

why not fit a dripless gland??$800 from chatfield engineering,fit once and forget it,bit of grease once a tear. next time around will fitting one.

Remember to let it drip with packing when motoring,seen so many packings worn out as the drip is the cooling.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#12 BOIGuy

BOIGuy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

Got a Volvo seal on my yacht, super simple and seems to be lasting ok, grease it once a year. Nice to have a dry bilge. 

#13 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

I had a volvo dripless shaft seal fail on my 10 year old beneteau 50 just out of Gibraltar on the way to the canary islands. It failed pretty badly with a huge amount of water coming in. By the time we noticed it there was a lot of water in the boat and the limber holes in the structure and some rough conditions were not letting enough water get to the central mounted bilge pumps. We had to go into a small fishing port in Morocco to get some flat water and bail the boat out before heading back to Spain for an emergency out. The internal lipseals had just worn out completley.

Fantastic things but they really are not a case of fit and forget. Recommended to be replaced every 5 years by a surveyor who did our boat.
Maybe our one had not been 'burped' (let the air out between the 2 seals) properly When it had gone back in the water at some stage of its life or not lubed.

#14 slanty

slanty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:41 AM

Definitely keen on dripless solution, but will save that expenditure for my next boat. Looking to upgrade in the not too distant future....

#15 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

I had a volvo dripless shaft seal fail on my 10 year old beneteau 50 just out of Gibraltar on the way to the canary islands. It failed pretty badly with a huge amount of water coming in. By the time we noticed it there was a lot of water in the boat and the limber holes in the structure and some rough conditions were not letting enough water get to the central mounted bilge pumps. We had to go into a small fishing port in Morocco to get some flat water and bail the boat out before heading back to Spain for an emergency out. The internal lipseals had just worn out completley.

Fantastic things but they really are not a case of fit and forget. Recommended to be replaced every 5 years by a surveyor who did our boat.
Maybe our one had not been 'burped' (let the air out between the 2 seals) properly When it had gone back in the water at some stage of its life or not lubed.

reason why I chose chatfield on the last yacht,incase of failure you can undo 2 bolts and use normal packing as a repair. The pps?? is relying on 2 flanges pushed together and will drip if in muddy waters as silt can get between flanges.

#16 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

http://www.pbase.com...fing_box&page=3
Scroll down. ********GTU, GFO, Ultra x warning**********
sh*t, I’ve missed an inspection or four.

#17 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

http://www.pbase.com...fing_box&page=3
Scroll down. ********GTU, GFO, Ultra x warning**********
Shit, I’ve missed an inspection or four.

Thats a pretty good article!

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#18 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:14 AM

I would have thought mention would be made on bronze stuffing boxes. Which is more noble bronze sb or stainless shaft? Oh, well next haul will pull apart.

#19 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Stainless is more noble than naval bronze.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#20 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

The important bit.

When adjusting other types of flax the stuffing box should be relatively cool/warmish to luke warm, at most. With traditional flax packing it should drip and must drip while the shaft is spinning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users