• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:55 PM

Buying the right kind for a yacht?

Inflatable or hard?

I can see pro's and cons's for both.

Surely a hard one would be ok lashed to stanchions with fins out?

Inflatables would be next to useless to surf?

A wide range of prices!

#2 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

comes down to what you want it for?

I use those cheap soft top/ plastic bottom ones on our boat so as to not damage the hulls and decks.  But they are crap for any serious paddling!

If you want something you can surf on the a glass board is the only way to go.  That being the case I would have it in a good quality board bag on deck to minimise damage to board or boat and pull it out or put in the bag while its overboard.

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#3 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

Starboard do make an inflatable that can surf reasonably well but still not as good as a hard board. But if its only for the boat then it depends on where you can carry it and how that will handle rough weather. Strapped to staunchions will be bad news in bad conditions. If it starts getting hit by waves things will start to break. I carry hard boards but normally have safe places to carry it on a multi.

#4 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:55 PM

We carry red air inflatables on the boat. I have a hard one for surfing. The inflatables can be better than you think in the surf, although still not great.

On a boat I would only have soft, no worries about damaging boat or board.

#5 Terry B

Terry B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:40 AM

Over Xmas I saw a 40 footer with about (it seemed) 100 kids on it - they had what I can only describe as a 'board rack' (like you'd have on a wall in your garage) on each side.

Essentially an aluminium? arm (1 forard and 1 aft) attached to, and on the OUTSIDE of the stanchions. Each of the 2 SUPs were just bungied on there.

Very clever I thought - for cruising. Takes up no room at all.

I guess they just remove them when going back into a marina situation...........

TERRY

We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police do....................

#6 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

Hard is better than inflatable but not so much if you are prepared to pay a lot of money for a high quality blow up. If you're planning on parking up at Whangapoa for a week then get the hard otherwise the convenience of having a board that packs away is hard to beat. https://www.naishsur...ds/#inflatables

#7 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

Hmm, food for thought.

Very good points.

I hate buying stuff that does not really fit my purpose.

Small boat is the limiting factor so will go inflatable and take my shortboard along 

which stows in V berth.

#8 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:41 AM

If you get an inflatable, be aware that pumping it up is a right pain in the arse. I've got a Red Air inflatable. Pumping it by hand is alot more work than going for the actual paddle.

To get them stiff, you need to get to 13 - 15 psi. Which is nearly physically impossible to do that by hand.

I strongly recommend you get an electric pump.

Currently I have a 10 amp tyre pump from SCA. It is good at getting the board to the final pressure after hand pumping, but it is extremely slow.

I am on the verge of getting a proper inflatable water toy pump, $260

This one (below) is the dogs nuts of pumps. Has a centrifugal pump for high volume low pressure, and has a positive displacement pump for high pressure. 20 amps though so it shows its not just a toy pump. It is fast to pump up, and gets to the required high pressure. It also has a pressure switch, so you can let it run and it will cut out at the required pressure. Meaning you can go an do something else while it pumps up. I came across these pumps because the guy selling Aarkron inflatables was using one (the cordless / battery powered version) i.e. it was being used by a professional in a commercial setting, which is usually a good indication they aren't a toy pump for blowing up camping air-beds...

I've never tried surfing on mine, but if you get them up to a proper high pressure, they are as stiff as. I would argue as stiff as any rigid soft board. I would say they would be adequately stiff to try surfing on, which is what the pump (and the iSUP's) are designed for.  :-)

http://www.incept.co...vo-gp-80digital

#9 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

and remember before hooking up the pump, especially the manual version, to reset the valve from where it was last left to deflate the SUP, a whole lot of air escapes when you disconnect the hose and discover "someone" forgot to close the valve  :oops:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users