Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

With the Corinthian and Cruising Divisions geting a good "head start" on the Premiere Division it is perfectly feasible to do this adventure in the boat that you have. The minimum size of past years has been deleted to allow for Squids fleet of Mini Transat 22footers so no more excuses.

I'll be updating the RAYC website next week with more race info.

But once again - I think it's going to be a great fleet!

If all goes to plan, Bullrush will be going and having a wee battle with Pretty Boy Floyd, on the way!

The Denarau Marina has just been done up with new (and more secure) fingers and pontoons, and a friend tells me the new yacht club is awesome - with cheap yachtie-type meals!

More info next week!

With the Corinthian and Cruising Divisions geting a good "head start" on the Premiere Division it is perfectly feasible to do this adventure in the boat that you have. The minimum size of past years has been deleted to allow for Squids fleet of Mini Transat 22footers so no more excuses.

haha - except mine is a trailer yacht, and probably won't point if we put all that cat 1 gear on her.

Next boat though - If I can talk THM into it :lol:

Meantime - let me know if you are looking for someone to crew - I have been offshore before. . .

The Denarau Marina has just been done up with new (and more secure) fingers and pontoons, and a friend tells me the new yacht club is awesome - with cheap yachtie-type meals!

More info next week!

Sorry to disappoint folks but they haven't even started building the new yacht club yet. A bit of manouvering meant that Cardos has the rights for the yacht club name & they have done some extensions upstairs but it is in no way a yacht club. The new fingers are good but unfortunately you have to wade through a construction site to get to them (as the whole place has been for the last couple of years) Dust or mud depending on weather. The showers are worthless and expensive, the laundry even worse, the prices are predatory compared with other marinas $15/day just to anchor!!, the security is virtually nonexistent with many high value thefts occurring and the water is filthy with fuel spills common and no attempt to clean them up. Storing up is expensive unless you spend the time & money to go into Nadi or Namaka and yachting support services & chandlery are poor - OK.

My advice, take ratguards for your lines, don't plug into shore power if you can avoid it, lock everything away including dinghy outboard plotter etc., spend as little time there as possible, shower on the boat if possible and find a local to do your laundry.

Hopefully someone involved in marina management might read this and realise what a crock of s**t they are running there and do something to remedy things before the fleet arrives and destroys their reputation for ever.

Interesting post 'Truthteller'...seems to quite contradict what committee members saw a few months back (and what a friend who lives there told me), but it sounds like you may have seen it recently by your post...anyway I'm sure we'll all make the most of it when we get there!!

Must say we've kept our boat there on a number of occasions and never had security or rat issues!

NOW: Importantly!!! I must apologise for not getting more info up onto the RAYC site - computer issues and juggling two other jobs....BUT...

The accomodation deals for the race have just come through, which I have posted in a PDF file on the site (www.rayc.org.nz), with three different resorts on offer...you can book direct with the resorts, their details are all included on the site.

The flight fares for crew should be available next week...stay tuned.

If anyone requires any info or handholding in regards to the regatta, please feel free to ring Mike Wilson (Starlight Express - number available from RAYC) or Kevin Robertson (RAYC 524 9945) por PM either myself, or Ant (Bullrush).

There are a number of wives/partners/kids flying up wanting to know best date to fly....Premier fleet starts Sat 22nd May, most boats will average the race in approx 6 days, (not accounting for a drifter) so at a guess, try for Friday if you want to see the boats come in.

On another matter, it has been pointed out that to go offshore you need to have a registered ship (ie, NZ reg, or Aus reg, etc) ie, not just registered with YNZ with a sail number...

Guest Brucey
Interesting post 'Truthteller'...seems to quite contradict what committee members saw a few months back (and what a friend who lives there told me), but it sounds like you may have seen it recently by your post...anyway I'm sure we'll all make the most of it when we get there!!

Must say we've kept our boat there on a number of occasions and never had security or rat issues!

NOW: Importantly!!! I must apologise for not getting more info up onto the RAYC site - computer issues and juggling two other jobs....BUT...

The accomodation deals for the race have just come through, which I have posted in a PDF file on the site (http://www.rayc.org.nz), with three different resorts on offer...you can book direct with the resorts, their details are all included on the site.

The flight fares for crew should be available next week...stay tuned.

If anyone requires any info or handholding in regards to the regatta, please feel free to ring Mike Wilson (Starlight Express - number available from RAYC) or Kevin Robertson (RAYC 524 9945) por PM either myself, or Ant (Bullrush).

There are a number of wives/partners/kids flying up wanting to know best date to fly....Premier fleet starts Sat 22nd May, most boats will average the race in approx 6 days, (not accounting for a drifter) so at a guess, try for Friday if you want to see the boats come in.

On another matter, it has been pointed out that to go offshore you need to have a registered ship (ie, NZ reg, or Aus reg, etc) ie, not just registered with YNZ with a sail number...

We will see what we will see.

If this isnt a great venue (and it never was in the past) there will be some long faces. the reality is for our offshore fleets that we now have races going to Fiji two years in a row, saddly this can only detract from the fleets we have both years. Denerau and then Musket.

Who's falt is it? f*ck knows who cares, they both tell different stories if you listen to the dock talk but both the RAYC and RNZYS need their heads banged together as far as I am concerned. Where the year after, hey maybee Fiji again??????? Get an imagination

A bit harsh but some possibly valid points. The harbour master has been away for a while for medical treatment and the manager was away for a bit as well so the ball was dropped occasionally.

We got a rat on our boat there when we were berthed on the old pontoon and a clients boat got one on the same pontoon.

BTW, I'm working for one of the "yachting support services" companies in Denarau and like to think we're better than just OK.

There has been a bit of theft in the past but they responded by installing a security camera system so hopefully that has gone away now.

The water cleanliness (or lack of) is more a product of the Nadi River. It does mess up the waterline paintwork and I certainly wouldn't be volunteering to go over the side when in the marina to give it a quick scrub.

truthteller....just registered Monday...first post today....I smell a rat

nothing wrong with your sense of smell Marsh - a rat with trolls clothing

Hi John,

I thought I might have you included on my mailing list, so I'll send you out an email tonight..the Premier Divison starts on Sat May, the 22nd, and the Corinthian Division, a few days earlier on the Wednesday...

Janine- Bullrush and RAYC

A big Bula Vinaka to all potential competitors in the Auckland to Fiji race this year.

It is always a shame to see posts from someone like 'truthteller' from a business perspective but more so when they a blog is used as a personal attack that was threatened while the individual was here. For the rest of you i would like to take the opportunity to remedy some of these comments. The marina has spent FJ$10 million in the last two years and has been in a construction phase. This is now almost complete and will be by the time you arrive. As well as new land based facilities, including new workshops, new laundry, shower block and reception we have also done extensive dredging and installed new marinas. Security has been upgraded with CCTV, security card access to the dock, 24 hour security patrols and now a police officer in the marina 24/7. We have had no reports of theft since this introduction. The water in the marina is dirty but this is silt as we are situated in the mouth of the Nadi River. There are two chandleries, electrical and diesel engineers, boatbuilders, sail maker etc to provide support. We are not Auckland by any means but would the Pacific and Fiji be such a great destination if it was?

All of Denarau is excited about your arrival and we have a great program planned to keep you entertained. I cant wait to meet you all personally and look forward to you making your own call about the marina that we are all very proud of. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

I will check this blog regularly if any of you have any questions or i can be contacted on nigel@denaraumarina.com

Vinaka

Nigel Skeggs

Archived