Jordan Rescued

Remember JHarkin? Was doing his frist offshore trip back from Fiji? Well, his mum just told me they had to abandon the boat and were picked up by a containership - due back this afternoon.

Good to hear they are all OK, Jordan - story and photos here please and your dad gets the rum!

Not sure, I can see how the media gets things wrong though. His mum told me the boat was "at the bottom of the Pacific". I had heard they lost a rudder and abandoned. I queried her txt and she clarified - didn't sink . But it would have been easy to make a mistake quoting an excellent source.

He wanted an experience - guess he got one!

Don't know what it is about that boy, but it's the third boat in the last 3 months that's come to grief when he's been aboard, First Bump n Grind, then the Ross 35, now this? Glad he's ok, but he ain't stepping foot on my boat again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Legend! "Stepped off my first sinking yacht before I left school." :lol: Dropped a rig or two recently as well I think.

Imagine the experiences he will have notched up by the time he is old enough to go into a bar to tell these stories. :roll:

Edit: Just saw Squid's post re sinking or not - another damaged-but-floating boat left out there...?

that was one i was going to go on too but didn,t, the last one i was looking at going on was the big old x auckland charter tri that was heading for auckland and had to be towed into new caledonia after putting a hole in itself a few months ago. Looks like i miss out on all the fun! :) if it was just the rudder that was missing i would have been tempted to say to the owner if he had pushed the abandon ship button, ok you go but if i get the boat home on my own its mine! still i wasn,t there and don,t know the circumstances so at least everybody got home safe, i hope. The owner had more to think about than his boat and his own safety and having somebodys young son with him would have also been a consideration. after all the skipper is responsible for the boat and all those who sail on her.

Sorry, its my fault.

Jordan is down for WI with me, but I told him, after loosing the two rigs, he's not coming unless he gets his third peice of bad luck out of the way beforehand. Shhiittee, I was only kind of serious. Anyone knows if he takes banana's on board? I do beleive his new nickname is the banana, talk about bad luck!

Guess he's good for WI now, as long as he (or his Mum) isn't put off adventures on the high seas...

hell yes im keen fishy!

3 days out from fiji in 35kts wind and 4-6m seas we got laid flat on our side by a big f**ker. possibly 6-7m. wiped out all the fuel and water drums on deck and flooded the cabin a bit, then we couldnt steer properly so we stayed up all night in the cockpit attempting to hand steer and in the morning we saw 2 very big chunks of the rudder break off and float away. so for the next 32hrs we tried every conceivable way of steering the boat but we just couldnt. when we got in the life raft to go to the ship i saw that the bottom half of the rudder was gone and the top half was spinning freely on the stock. so all the tangs must have snapped off and the rudder spinning freely and jamming against the hull stopped us steering with a jury rudder. ship crew was f**king excellent though. we got on board, they gave us 3 3 course meals a day, officers cabins, a box of movies and a casket of wine, 24box of steinys, box of coke and a bottle of rum. pics coming soon squidly :thumbup:

oh and after 30mins with 4 of us in a brand new zodiac 8 man life raft the bottom fell out. so we had to swim 100m in full wet weather gear to the ship

Archived