Now here's a "Race Week"

SloopJohnB

Interesting. It'd turn into a week-and-a-half pretty easily, by the time boats are delivered and got into race mode in time for a Saturday start. And personally I'd struggle with the endurance required to roll over a hangover from one day to the next over that length of time.

Not that I claim to know what will attract a good turnout to a regatta these days! :eh:

must be a bad case of monday morning where you are murky.

you don't want to do a race week because its actually a week long not 4 days, and you can't sail with a hangover ???

Looks like a great event to me

Station! Haven't seen you round here for a million years.

Sorry if my post gave that impression. I will have a crack at clarifying:

There is occasionally discussion around here about "what's wrong with yachting in this country." A few events have had lower numbers this year, with a couple being canned. You'll also find a few posts on this site with people who have already entered regattas trying to get other boats fired up. There will be all kinds of reasons for the fall-off in numbers and I don't claim to have any particular insights into the reasons why. But I would say that, with money being a bit tighter and people perhaps feeling that they are fortunate to be in a job, I have found it harder to take time off work, especially closely following Christmas.

So all I really wanted to comment is that, from my own perspective, a longer regatta wouldn't get me there any more than a shorter one.

I've enjoyed some of the three or four-dayers that I've taken part in though and you can certainly see an improvement in boat-handling over that time. I don't know if you would keep getting better at the same rate over a week.

So what'd be the best/most enjoyable regatta you've taken part in?

fair point !

Best would probably be Rolex regatta, St Thomas USVI, perfect sailing and great parties, but it was only 4 days so maybe you're onto something.

Did Antigua a few times, and yes the body is suffering by the end of the week. 1st time was sleeping on the floor / sailbags of a hobie33 for the week, living off alcohol, jonny cakes, chicken+rib bbqs from the beach. The smell was so bad by the end of the week we had no chance of finding a more appealing place to spend the night.

I think the biggest drawcard for these events is for them to be away from home, in holiday/party mode, ala the caribbean regatta's / key west / ham / cowes week etc. it makes it more expensive / time off work, so perhaps less popular in the tough times, but is ultimately a better bash.

that's why the bmw thing, although great, I don't think will ever really get beyond a y88 nats type event for mixed fleets.

Must try to do bay week next year.

Yes and they have something around 80 keelers (including 20 or so sportsboats) in several divisions and 8 multihulls. The multi's include the boat I usually sail on, an F25 Trinty. According to my skipper it is a great week with fantastic prizes and lots of other stuff going on besides the yacht racing. Unfortunately I used up all my annual leave going back to NZ over Xmas and so am not part of it. :thumbdown:

Archived