Delaminated tiller issue

ab1974

After spending too many hours lovingly refinishing sanding and carefully applying 10 coats of varnish to my laminated kauri tiller, a friend slipped on the weekend while helming and fell heavily on the tiller. I heard the sickening crack and after we got things sorted, saw the tiller had a split across the top laminate and that the laminates had come apart near the rudder stock. The tiller has had a minor split in a laminate repaired in a previous life.

I like the tiller and dont really want to get another one made - so I want to repair it.

Thoughts are to mix some epoxy (with a thickener) and inject via a siringe into the cracks and clamp. I then suspect it will need strengthening. Although it wont enhance the look I need to be practical - no point loosing the tiller when I am out the back of Waiheke. To strengthen it I was going to glass the bottom third of the tiller (atleast the end I steer with will still be varnished Kauri). I was going to use some 150mm double bias tape and wrap around the tiller and trim to a butt joint. Probebly just one layer and will need three strips to do about 450mm for the bottom third.

So questions from the crew.org team:

- what is the best way to get epoxy into the small cracks?

- what is the best way to clamp? - just clamps or should I use screws and then remove them?

- what is the best way to strengthen? Fiberglass as I have suggested or other?

- Am I wasting my time?

- Am I wasting my time?

One non-expert vote for this one, I am sorry AB. On the basis that a functional steering system is just too critical and it can go so bad if it doesn't hold up, especially given that it sounds like there are now multiple issues.

Is it about the time you invested in varnishing it? That is a goner either way.

Not the answer I was looking for but probably a reality check.

I could probably laminate a new one up and get the general shape right in a jig, but if I want to replicate the tapering and round it off that could be a little trickier.

Any idea after laminating it up how I should round it off. My current one has a square butt end and then tapers off through an oval shape into an almost circular shape by the end - have they used a shave spoke and belt sander to get the shape right is there another trick?

Alternatively:

- does anyone make or have them off the shelf in NZ (in the US there is these guys http://www.idasailor.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=56)

- any suggestions who to get to build one

- who makes / stocks aluminium ones?

It shouldnt be a too bigger job to make a new one - a few nights work if you've got the tools.

Once laminated up, id take to it with an electric planer, then a big meaty rasp, then sandpaper. A spoke shave and belt sander sounds like a hard way of doing it.

If you laminate it, you can do some snazzy things with different coloured timbers - white oak and dark teak can look pretty cool

fixed a few tillers. if its broken right through/splintered like a tree thats been blown up id bin it. if its say split around the bolts holding it to the stock can probably wedge it appart and drown in epoxy then cramp and re drill holes later.

blocks of wood help keep an even pressure. glass if paranoid about it breaking again. use some peel ply to get it smooth or some heat shrink (the stuff that wont stick to the epoxy).

making a new one. set up a solid jig and do it parallel (taper it later) on the ground to keep it in form. once its dried you would have flat survace top and bottom.

tip: do it over size and put a single pin/screw/nail at one end through all pieces of timber stops the lot from sliding around. cramp from the end with the pin through it. cut hole off later.

can cut the sides to taper with a jigsaw if ya good or power planer if ya good. attack the rounds with a router with different sized bullnose bits if available or use a boat builders spoke shave (angle grinder with 30 grit and extreme caution).

taper the underside with a power plane then small block plane. sand with some 40 grit on a block to avoid digging hollows as much as possible then tickle with something fine in ya hand. long swipes with sand paper by hand...not shot little poofter swipes.

i like the look of kauri/mahogany. kauri on the very top.

Thanks guys

I reckon I am going to do all of the above. I am going to repair this tiller as I think I can do that reasonably quickly so I can get sailing again and then build a new one and retire the repaired one as an emergency spare.

I'm right into my "Boatbuilders Spokeshave" at the moment. I use 80 grit if I only want to tear great chunks out of things rather than vaporise mode with 25 grit :D

Lost a bit of skin off my finger with it yesterday just with the plastic backing pad. :shock:

uhhh...did say extreme caution...iv had it jump out of my hands while down a 1/4 berth and it shot towards the front of the boat at great speed before demolishing about 1sq m of glass cloth that got tied up in it and managed to stop it. still a line along the bunk tops where it was wheel spinning.

Archived