I want to lengthen my pole!

SanFran

You heard right.... My jockey pole is around 4ft long, (which makes it fit in beside the quarter berth nicely) but is only any good for poling out from the stay, which requires a tie off on the beak/stay.

Both ends are good, so to add another, say 4 foot of length what might be the best way to do this, bearing in mind I like the idea of putting it away each night... Is it possible to cut (ouch), and insert... (sorry the puns are coming thick and fast here) a slightly thinner / thicker piece of tube, with a thing like what hospital crutches have?

Any suggestions anyone?

Nick

im no pro but i dont see why not. similar idea to a retracting prod cept it wont see anywhere near the load. have some string inside it to stop over extension and a pin that locks the 2 tubes together. want it to be a good fit (teflon bearings or something maybe) to avoid a hard spot that could fold it in half.

If stowing alongside the quarterberth wasn't the key criteria and you were willing to keep it on the side-deck, you would have more options and require a lot less engineering.

some boats have eyes on the deck inboard a bit (cabin top between stays and mast) for the beak to clip onto and the outer end is stayed down to the toe rail. clipping the inner end to the stay doesnt seem right. is there a genoa track up there you could attach an end to a dud car that slides on when required? just throwing ideas round.

Hey SanFran what are you using it for ?

Jockey pole, whisper pole or both ?

Sounds like it maybe a jockey pole that you also want to use as a whisper pole .

If this is the case look into the telescopic option but if you just need it longer then take the ends off and get a longer tube then setup something on deck to stow it.

Hey SanFran what are you using it for ?

Jockey pole, whisper pole or both ?

Sounds like it maybe a jockey pole that you also want to use as a whisper pole .

If this is the case look into the telescopic option but if you just need it longer then take the ends off and get a longer tube then setup something on deck to stow it.

Jockey pole, whisker police, spinnaker boom.... the list goes on. Im trying to define the 2-3.

Im guessing I have a jockey pole, which attaches from the stay to the clew (and if from the mast to the clew, its a whisker pole?). Ive read that the whisker pole can be from the deck to the clew... I want a longer one... from mast to clew of h'sail or spinnaker.

I guess it all goes back to where I want to store it. Liking the idea of telescopic type.

Is there a formula re how long it should be. Should it be longer or shorter than mast clip to headsail stay. Was told that length plus about 10%

I was under the impression that a jockey pole went from the mast to the spinaker brace when you've got the spinnaker pole well forward to keep the brace off the sidestays. I thought a whisker pole went from the mast to the clew of the headsail to stop it from flopping about when you're running deep downwind and 2 sailing or when you're running goosewinged. Haven't heard of a whisper pole but guess it could be just another name for a whisker pole.

A telescopic whisker pole would be a very cool thing to have, but I'm guessing they may not be that cheap to buy as a complete unit.

I guess it all goes back to where I want to store it

I'd seriously be looking from the perspective of what you want to use it for. Even a poled-out headsail can generate a fair bit of load at times - a kite even more so.

If it only gets used once or twice in flat-calm conditions each summer, fair enough.

But it is very easy to end up carrying things further up the range than you originally intended...

Also intrigued by the fact that your avatar shows a boat running with a kite in a configuration that would indicate you also have a kite pole - what were you using when that shot was taken?

Haven't heard of a whisper pole but guess it could be just another name for a whisker pole.

A telescopic whisker pole would be a very cool thing to have, but I'm guessing they may not be that cheap to buy as a complete unit.

Grinna has nailed it ;whisper, whisker pole. potato potarto, bad spelling call it what you like,

Lets start again what do you use it for and what else do you want it to do ?

connecting it to the stays isn't good. I would say it is for holding the brace clear of the life lines and your trying to use it to hold out your headsail ?

Re avatar photo...matter o fact, I wasnt using the pole at all on that run. Pole is lucky to be about 5 odd ft long, so useless for that application.

Basically just want to use it to gull wing the h'sail in lighter airs, or pole out the spinnaker.

SanFran what you do next depends on your budget, but Sailutions are advertisers here, and a bloody good bunch too. If you go to see them armed with all the information they need, they'll make you a spinnaker pole if you don't want to make one yourself. They'll need to know the size and weight of your boat, then probably the foot measurement of the kite and headsail so they know how long to make it.

Do you have the hardware on your mast for a topping lift for a spinnaker pole?. You'll need to rig a downhaul too.

I'm guessign that if he's got a spinnaker and he's got a jockey pole then he's probably got all the set up for a spinnaker pole as well, but may be missing the pole itself. I might be wrong, but it sounds like the spinnaker pole is the only piece missing.

Archived