BMW REGATTA

Well it was a great day out for some and not for others.

Gear failiure plagued a few boats with the breeze shaking loose

a few cobwebs. Wind and Tide made it bouncy but there were some

interesting moments!

The Regattas main sponsor boat (BMW yacht sport) having a awkward moment

right on the finish line as the boys from Overload snuck past on one side and

Bullrush on the other. Sorry boys but had to post it!

More to come on the sitepost-650-141887157151.jpg

Ooooh that's an ugly one: if it's not the full 180˚ to the course, it must be at least 140. Overload has had to come up a long way to dodge 'em.

Off to your site now to see the rest. :thumbup:

Hi Murky,

you may want to wait till tomorrow as I havent up loaded all the stuff yet and

quite honestly need to go to the pub for a drink its been quite a day on the water!!

Superyachts-Louis Vuitton and BMW regatta I am knackered.

Sure it will wait till tomorrow! :wink:

I'm Knackered too and my crew and I were only laying marks, towing boats and generally making ourselves useful.

Big ups to those who turned up, tried and suceeded or had fun anyway.

Those who didn't turn up are pusseys!

Yes it was a great day alright, but for heaven's sake surely they can get a bit closer with the handicaps. Why don't they look at racetrack, or at least historical data of some sort. My handicap was less than 3 of the GBEs for the first race, 2 of them are on the first page of race track. Currently I'm on the 4th page!!

Not good enough :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Some interesting things

1) Multis the biggest fleet

2) I don't know what the multis use but the other dicvisions are racing PHRF (am I right). We have had plenty of threads about PHRF having more shortcomings than a midget nymphomaniac.

Day 1 results here:

http://www.bmwaucklandregatta.co.nz/sit ... esults.pdf

From the website:

Notice for Handicaps

"General handicap will be included for all yachts in each division apart from yachts in class divisions. This is in addition to the PHRF and IRC (endorsed & unendorsed) ratings if applicable. The handicap for selection to sail in the New Zealand BMW Sailing Cup is prioritised to PHRF over General handicap. Prizes will be awrded for IRC, PHRF,& General handicaps."

You know I just re read that and admit I have no idea wtf is going on. Who gets through to the MRX final thingy to qualify for the big prize? How can Joe public be expected to sort it out?

Go the Y88s!!!!

IRC Certificates at Half Price

The RORC has agreed to a special deal for New Zealand only to provide new IRC

certificates or revalidation certificates at half price in time for the BMW Auckland

Regatta. This special offer does not apply to amendments or trial certificates. For

New Zealand boats only, the RORC has brought the certificate issue date for

reduced fees forward to Monday 22nd Feb.

seems they had a rush and couldn't process any other C divi yacht :lol:

Bit sad so few entries. Something is obviously missing, like what the yachters want to actually sail in. Good to see the multis getting themselves together like that, nice work team.

Does look like a hell battle going on in IRC Div C. Knot sure which boat I want to win.

I tried to look at IRC even though I'm told we would get a nasty hammering. But after asking what a Trail Cert was, what it would tell me, do I need one, is getting one a good idea, but getting zero answers I thought they must have had enough boats and didn't want more :?

Probably should be in another thread as the organisers/sponsors here are doing their best and deserve support

BUT- NZ Yachting (not YNZ) has to get its act together on the whole handicap thing. Trying to run a premiere event on Gen Hcap or our current performance based PHRF is pathetic. But IRC never got a grip- too expensive? penalties for going fast?

But at present we have no decent system for running top end racing. Maybe we should face facts, the same way our boatbuilding industry couldn't compete with foreign imports , perhaps we just can't support a decent keelboat fleet anymore????????

it wont be long before most of NZ yachts are modern classics, I was told yesterday that the raven 26 celebrated 40years recently, another few years and the Y88, Y11, Rocket 31, Ross 930, 830, Farr 1020, Farr38, Farr 1104, Farr 727, geezze wayne its a long list. Piedies are already getting ready for their 50th. One would think that after all this time the bloody handicap should be sorted. :crazy:

Mines number 14 (how that's worked I'm knot sure) but she just turned 26 years old last month so No.1 must be close as 30. I have just realised I'm getting shagged by a 26yo, never expected that was going to happen ever again (while awake) :lol: :lol:

The BWM fleet will be having a goodie today weather wise by the looks, the bastards ;) Chatting to a couple of very knackered yachters last evening. Looks like they weren't quite ready/expecting the bigger breeze that kicked in yesterday.

Archived