Garmin GPSMAP 2010C

Hi all. Has anyone got a Garmin GPSMAP 2010C chart plotter? I recently purchased a yacht with said plotter. Unfortunately it was from a deceased estate so unable to ask the usual questions of the previous owner. The manual says that once at least 3 satellites are attained, the top of the screen will display either Ready (2D or 3D) & the chart will appear. Mine shows searching for WAAS & shows around 8 or more satellites before I get a chart display. Later in the manual there is a reference to WAAS being part of the USA FAA nav system which relies on a couple of satellites and is affected by high terrain and buildings close by. This is pretty much what I am getting & seems to be what the plotter is set to. Losing the signal in the Tamaki Strait Auckland and lost it for a couple of miles midway between Kawau & Barrier. It would seem that I need to get off the WAAS menu and back to basics. Any idea how or am I missing something here. Thanks heaps for any info. Ian.

Hi Whiterose

You should definitely turn off WAAS as it will only provide any benefit in and around North America. It can quite possibly cause problems when outside the area.

Basically WASS consists of a network of permanent GPS sites throughout North America which are used to calculate additional corrections to improve GPS accuracy. These corrections are broadcast through a geostationary satellite over the US and can be received by WAAS capable receivers like yours to improve the position calculated. This obviously gets less accurate the further you are from North America (to the point where it can conceivably make thing worse).

More info about what what WAAS actually does can be found here:

http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

I'm not familiar with your particular chart plotter but have just had a look at the user manual on the Garmin web site. Pages 58-59 describe how to turn off WASS from the "DGPS Setup" menu on the "GPS Info" tab. Set "Differential Source" to "None".

Hope this helps.

Hi Nevp

Hey that's great. Thanks very much for the information and doing the research too. I really appreciate it :)

I've had another look at the book and the info in that together with yours makes alot more sense now.

I'll check it out again next time I'm out at the boat.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Ian.

Archived