Rust neutralising paint

sailfish

Hi All,

When we got our boat surveyed the surveyor told me of this paint that you can paint on over surfaces after cleaning up and it sort of neutralises the rust and gives good protection. This is for inside the bilge so dont really care what it looks like. Said it was really good black stuff.

Anyone have an idea what it was? I tried emailing and asking him but didnt get an answer, not sure if he is still around :(

Can't remember the name but have used in the past. Not impressed, poor adhesion etc. What I have used successfully is Altex pre prime. It's a semi hardening base coat that can be applied over semi prepared rusty surfaces. It's part of their commercial range and generally doesn't show on the yacht products list.

Theres a variety of "oxyide" neutraliser paints around, tried them but dissapointed and as much as I hate to extole the vertues of over priced international paints....... PA 10 can NOT be beaten! My chainplates, engine mounts and mast collar (even though they don't recommend it on wood) testify

My 2c worth.

POR 15 = poor results on fixed parts of a steel boat. Good result on things like brackets that can be taken away and blasted.

PA10 = good but must be over coated soon after applied.

Interprotect = Excellent results. I even have some small patches on deck without a top coat for over a year that have slightly yellowed but still protecting.

Fisholene for those awkward places where prep is difficult.

Can't remember the name but have used in the past. Not impressed, poor adhesion etc. What I have used successfully is Altex pre prime. It's a semi hardening base coat that can be applied over semi prepared rusty surfaces. It's part of their commercial range and generally doesn't show on the yacht products list.

pre prime 168, great stuff. it is a Devoe product that is so good International bought it out. best to get that sort of product applied by professionals.

Resene do one that I've used on metal flashings on a house that gets salt spray. Painted over with standard house paints and it has stood up pretty well.

I used it on my Keel and overcoated with a couple of coats of Interprotect, then antifoul.

It's only been back in water 2 days so can't comment on effectiveness yet.

Tergo Blackguard is a white liquid that goes black when it reacts with a layer of rust on the surface - if you do not overcoat it with paint it will fail.

If overcoated correctly it will last for a longtime - that comment is based on rust treatment work I did on my old car that has not rusted thru since it was done in 1999.

Archived