Regalvanazing chain and anchor

We have two anchor and a chain where the galvanazing is pretty much gone and there is some rust allready. Is it worth regalvanazing those or is it better to buy new stuff. How long would you expect it to last, as long as the original galvanazing? I think if it costs less than half of the new value, it would be tempting. The anchors are 50 kg Delta ja 30 kg CQR. The chain is 10 mm and 60 m. What is the place in Auckland area to get this done properly? I think you have to use acid to get the dirt and rust out and then dip it in hot zink. Any ideas?

The first question is, what is the chain?? If it is cheap Chinesse, then forget it. Hot dipping chain causes a loss of strengh and Chinesse has little of that to start with. If you have a good quality like PCB or similar, then it is likely worth it, but you will still get a strength loss of ruffly 15%.

The process of hot dipping is Acid and and caustic baths and then the hot dip tanks. But the real key is the ability to shake the snot out of it afterwards to ensure your links are free of excess Galv that causes it to "weld" itself together. Ruffly (it varies on weight) you would probably be looking at about $6/m for the chain.

The CQR reguires the lead to be removed from the tip and replaced again afterwards.

The CQR lead issue I found out last night too. Maybe I forget that and just do the bigger anchor and chain. The chain is good quality european, not chinese. I don't remember the exact brand or quality, have to look thru old papers. It is several years old but I think it would be still better after regalvanazing than the chinese cheap chains. But what is the place here in Auckland area that could do the job properly?

I've used these guys and found them good and helpful.

Was about 7 years ago but got a trailer completely re-galv and cost was $100.

Perry Metal Protection

41 Timothy Place

Rosebank

Phone: 09 820 8471 or 0800 508 506

Use East Tamaki Galvanisers or Steelmasters in Penrose. Both have spinners so you get a good clean finish rather than a lump of zinc reinforced with little steel ovals. Due to a total moron and another total moron who is a Judge, there was a goings on a year or 2 back which means many outfit are nervous of doing chain now. Also many outfits sent chain to one of the above for the spinning reason.

East Tamaki is good and owned by a knowledgeable yachtie. If the chain looks fecked he will tell you and why.

Rough reglav cost, depending on how much cleaning it may need, is $3 kg. 10mm chain is 2.3kg/mt so ball park $7 p/mt to regalvanise, which is roughly 1/4 to 1/2 of new good chain cost per mt.

Knot all genuine CQR's have lead in them. If a plow has lead in it IT MUST BE PUT BACK IN or the anchor will work like sh*t. Overfilling is good, under filling could be bad.

$7 per m, so 100 m would be about $700 then. :wink:

I wish you'd mentioned steelmasters last time around. I have an account with them.... didn't even know they did galvanising although its logical now that you mention it.

I called the East Tamaki place. I am going to take all of them there on Monday and he will tell me what to do with them. The lead part is only $40 extra. The bigger anchor is actually 105lb CQR, not Delta as I remembered. I have one smaller Bruce too which is maybe good to do at the same time. Chain is about $7 per meter for 10 mm, so the price given earlier was correct. Thanks for the advice everybody! I will post a reply next week how it all went.

I wish you'd mentioned steelmasters last time around. I have an account with them.... didn't even know they did galvanising although its logical now that you mention it.
That is what is technically called, by Professor Homer, a 'Doh!' moment :) :)
I called the East Tamaki place. I am going to take all of them there on Monday and he will tell me what to do with them. The lead part is only $40 extra. The bigger anchor is actually 105lb CQR, not Delta as I remembered. I have one smaller Bruce too which is maybe good to do at the same time. Chain is about $7 per meter for 10 mm, so the price given earlier was correct. Thanks for the advice everybody! I will post a reply next week how it all went.

Let us know how it goes!

Some problems. First the car failed and we could only drive to Manukau today Wednesday. Only to find out that our two original Scotland (105 lb and 45 lb) made CQR anchors don't have lead in them but there are holes in them that fill with mud and stuff from the bottom. And you can't put that thru the acid and the galvanazing process. Some risk of small explosion, I was told. So we had to first find a place to clean the mud out. Jamie Logan is doing that at the moment. The European 10 mm chain is good qaulity but there was one weak link (corrosion) and we cut that link in half. It was ok in the middle but only 7-8 mm thick now. We are now galvanazing only 43 m of the chain and the other 17 m is good (not much used). They will be reconnected with a shackle. The problem with that is that you can't run it thru the gypsy, I have run it around the gypsy manually if I am using more than 43 m of chain. So we are going back to Manukau end of this week or early next week.

Don't use a shackle. You can get a proper joining link. It comes in two halves and has pins that once coupled together, you smack with a hammer and you have a link.

Are those joining links really good? I had a look once and I don't think I can trust those. I mean can I put one in my chain and sleap peacefully at anchor thru the night when the wind is 40 kn outside?

Yes some of the CLinks can be trusted BUT only 2 of them in NZ we would suggest you use. Get one made by Maggi or Crosby and you'll be fine. Both have the name cast onto them so easy to recognise.

There are no Stainless ones we would use, knot even on a total wankers boat. And no way would we use any with out an name on them. There are a fair few floating around that are just crap. Good in Issy Bay maybe but bugger all further.

There are 100's in NZ and 1000's worldwide in use as we write.

Stand by while I go get my in-house Mad Scientist to see if he can bust a few this morning. Why?? cause busting sh*t is bloody good fun :thumbup:

tand by while I go get my in-house Mad Scientist to see if he can bust a few this morning. Why?? cause busting sh*t is bloody good fun

Photos and results please, for those of us whose workplaces don't encourage or even permit busting sh*t on company time.

Give it heaps...

Bugger hydraulics failure. Mad Scientist on the case, busting shite delayed until...?????

But the links I mention are well known so good to go even if we currently have a semi-depressed MS who can't prove it just at the moment :) :)

Maybe the original CQR's are made without lead( I didn't think so) ,but usually when you come across one or a generic plough type without lead in the tip , it means its been re galvanised before and the process has melted it out. Lots of people out there with "30lb "anchors which are only 20 or 25 for example.

Yeap, knot all genuine CQR's have lead, most don't.

Again yeap, a unleaded plow is only a sh*t piece of steel, knot a anchor. The lead is very important.

Note: many asian plows don't have lead and go with a big cast type tip a bit like the CQR's but as most of those have totally crap geometry they are no more than a interesting shaped bit of steel. Calling them a anchor is a bit of a stretch.

Ya thought of getting one of those $400 stainless steel plows you see around town? Don't waste your time and money. They look like bling but that is usual THE ONLY thing that could be regarded as a positive.

Last year I came very close to buying a container of asian SS anchors just to sell here as scrap metal, it was financially viable. If you can buy a new SS anchor for less than SS scrap metal value in NZ, it gaotta tell you something doesn't it.

Bugger hydraulics failure. Mad Scientist on the case, busting shite delayed until...?????

Weeelllll...not so much busted. More along the lines of a Chinese Tonne doesn't seem to be the same as the English Tonne. When we crank the knob all the way around to 11, we only get a dull 4 to 5 out of it. So seeing as we only carry quality, we can't actually bust much.

Archived