Morse Cable Repair

shanson

Gidday

I decided to go for a quick sail last Friday, we got 1/2 way up the channel of the marina, backwards and decided to use the momentum to spin the boat round forwards when we found out that we had no forwards gear!

Was an interesting trip back, luckily we didn't hit anything!

After checking I found that the end of my Morse cable had broken.

Can they be repaired? If so where and what would I expect to pay?

The cable is a bit long so I don't mind if I lose a bit of length!

Cheers

SHANE

Gidday wheels!

Its' 2.8 Meters long, as it was a bit long 2 meters would probably be ok.

The outer metal sheath has come away from the red plastic exposing the inside wire, which kinks when put into gear.

SHANE

I had one break on the christmas cruise North a few years ago. I cut the casing to shorten it and spliced it with some metal tube and plastic pipe

246_4645_1.jpg

That gave me the wire length back . I used electrical connectors to make stops.

246_4646_1.jpg

worked so well the replacement cable sat there waiting for a season before I got around to changing it.

The real answer is to replace it though eh.

Hey nice fix!

I think the difference is that your is throttle, while mine is gears, I need to push and pull.

Although I may have to give it a try! :-)

Did you replace yours or fix it?

SHANE

I replaced both Shane, on the basis that if one had gone the next would not be far behind.

That was just cobbled up with what I had to hand on the boat in whangaroa. I guess you could glue and clamp a close fitting tube over the shortened casing and get reasonably long lasting fix.

The second hand boat bits chandlery in the Whangarei Town Basin had a shelf full of morse cables that looked pretty new.

If you are anywhere nearby, it might be worth a mooch with a tape measure. It was a while ago when I was in there though.

Stanley Marine is the name of the place Slacko is referring to.

You will probably not find an online presence but if you call them and explain that you are in Auckland, I am sure someone would take a wander with a measuring tape. 09-438 4479.

Apex Auto Centre in Hamilton have just repaired one for my brother inlaw

He said they were the only place he could find that do them.

I've had cables for a couple of different things rebuilt in Wellington. It seems to always cost about $100.

They use all stainless components unlike most of the originals and the opposition.

Telflex have new cables with various ends and different lengths.

They are in Great South Road on southern side of Penrose, just before Otahuhu. Google them. It may be economic to replace than repair especially for a short 2m length. They may do repairs but I don't know. Quicker to sell new and only one visit required.

I bought a 2m genuine Teleflex cable in Fiji 2 weeks ago (came in special indent from Australia) $86 Fijian. What price are they in NZ that you would even consider repairing?

Archived