safety harness

I think on one of the threads someone mentioned that some round the world racers make their own harnesses.Has anyone done this?Anyone care to tell what they did and how it turned out?Has anyone had experience wearing a figure 8 harness?Anyone want to coment on any aspect of safety harnesses?

I have worn a Sospender harness/PFD and I dont like them.

You will not be able to get a home made safety harness to meet cat one, as you need to "prove" that it is strong enough, cat one life jacket/harness start at about $200.00, who much is your life worth? :think:

Look a safety at sea , left side of the page, I have found them brilliant :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure things changed last year in regards to harnesses. They will accept home made ones (and tethers). There are requirements for the way they are spliced though. (4 tucks and tapers I recall)

One of the standout points of the previous threads on this topic, from my perspective, has been the idea that if you go over the side wearing one, it is at best pretty alarming and at worst, still has the potential to end badly even though you are still attached to the boat.

So as you consider the options, it is worth keeping in mind not only what it is like to wear on deck (which we all envisage is the only way it ever gets worn) but also how it would perform if you ever went over the side and how it would assist in your efforts to get back on board.

If you are wondering if it was just a one-off with the brand you tried, I am pretty sure Safety At Sea (ad at left) carries a range of brands and Jono would be happy to take you through a fitting and offer some advice (assuming you are in or can get to Auckland).

Would you make your own wet weather gear? No because it would suck, now at least when that sucks you only get wet. When your harness sucks you die... Why tempt fate?

Making a harness is pretty easy if you have a machine that will handle the job, just read through the regs to make sure you are up to spec.

NOW I am interested !

make your own ?.

I have a harness that is a tree climbers harness. It was made by a parachute company...and then some. But it is not "marine spec". It shits all over any marine harness in strength ...you should see the stitching and quality. You would think that it has been built with the idea that there are some serious forces involved.

I have four others on board.

Two are cat one that are no where near the climbing harness, but are what we have used.

The second is a full rescue harness ...way better than the marine version (a donation and thank you)

and a 70s version...it may save your life, but the 40mm webing is going to give you grief. The stiching is a fraction of what my boom bag is..and I got a wonderfull local truck tarp maker to stich that up.....

Sure make your own. Make it like your life depends on it.

Make it stronger and better than what you could buy.

As a final thought, it is very unlikely that the webbing will give out..BUT take some serious thought to the thread and stitching......

Thats right.I figure it is easily possible to make it stronger than a commercial one,but if you get a design detail wrong......

I am thinking of something that doesnt have any metal on it.Not adjustable,made to fit me.Maybe have one for foul weather gear and one for warm weather.The figure 8 design interests me.

I'm hearing you there AC.

I've spent the last 2 years doing a refurb on the hard and though I did actually enjoy most of it, I'm liking sailing her more in the last couple of weeks. :D

If you had a machine already set up you would save a lot for 20 mins work. But $$$ alone may not be the motivation, what if you simply wanted something stronger or more comfortable?

Another thought.What if you are travelling somewhere,get an invite to a cruise,are expected to provide your own kit?Knowing how to make a harness might be handy.

Having a less bulky harness makes it easier to tote around,another safety factor.

Are you allowed to fly with those PFD/harnesses in your checked bags?

Sounds like the same bullshit they use with the cell phones.I have had it straight from a scientist that cell phones do not interfere with aircraft operation in any way (except if you are an Air NZ pilot using one while you land).

YNZ are fairly pragmatic for harnesses and tethers. There are a lot of older home made ones. Even the Frank Warnock ones aren't made to a standard, but he's been selling them for 40 years.

Overseas, they have to be in accordance with a CE or ISO standard.

So - yes you can make your own or buy one. As a note we are supplying Kru Sport Pro PFD with harness to the Volvo 70, plus Spinlock deck hanesses for warm water sailing. They are using std Baltic tethers.

You are allowed 2 x PFD with canister in checked luggage.

You need to declare them at checking, but they can be in the PFD.

And thanks for the compliments.

Archived