E 7 keel repair

Hi

Where the fin trailing edge connects to the bulb there are two vertical cracks radiating around the bulb for 3 - 4 inches max.

As i understand it the lead bulb is encased in two glass halves.

What lay up, cloth and resin would be best to repair? I think the damage has occurred in big waves with the keel slamming under motor. haven't hit anything but worried about water getting in.

This might sound a bit odd but we previously tried patching with carbon but I think the lay up needs to be more flexible i.e have a little give and take to prevent cracking again around repair.

Any Advice appreciated

The problem is probably not the carbon (but glass would be fine if not better) but the bulb casing is probably laminated with polyester being a production boat. The best repair is with polyester resin and double-bias glass after ginding the gelcoat off back to glass.

If you used epoxy resin with your carbon on a poorly prepared surface it won't take much stress to delam.

cheers grunta. I sent an email to elliot marine and am waiting on a response but I suspect previous repair may have been less than ideal. cheers

what's the easiest way tell lay up was originally polyester - smell, colour?

I haven't really thought about it before, it's a good question. Epoxy tends to be a bit more amber/ yellow in colour and polyester whiter or sometimes pinkish but chances are that if the fibres are chopstrand (random, not woven) then it is a polyester layup

Archived