Te Kouma Passage Race

Mothership

I hope everyone had as much fun as we did out there :D

The weather turned out quite different from what was forecast most of the week, which was a shame for us, but it happens. We got becalmed off Waiheke for about 30 min as we went out a bit and got stuck, then another patch of almost an hour before the last leg, where we ended up throwing the pick down to keep us from reversing up. Wasn't so bad though, as we lay around in the sun and ate a leisurely lunch.

The run home was a great. A couple of whoopsies when we blew our kite not far from home, then the motor stopped as we were dropping sails, and we had to get a tow back in, but otherwise magic.

Passage races are great for giving everyone a chance to steer and do stuff they otherwise wouldn't during a race on the return so enjoyable for all concerned. We put the skipper down in the pit for the set up to come home, where he was actually quite useful, when he wasn't disappearing all the time...

It was also unofficial Adopt-an-Island-Dweller day, so we took yachtyakka out for sail. We managed to keep him out of the rum until the end of the race, so he was actually quite useful. He also put on his Keelboat Instructor's hat for much of the way home, teaching the less experienced how to steer, which everyone really enjoyed.

One really has to appreciate what we've got here on our doorstep - we were on the foredeck on the leeward side with the jib against the safety lines to keep the water out, with the water rushing past and looking up at the stars, drinks in hand, and it really doesn't get much better. The best time had in quite a while :)

I hope everyone had as much fun as we did out there :D

The weather turned out quite different from what was forecast most of the week, which was a shame for us, but it happens. We got becalmed off Waiheke for about 30 min as we went out a bit and got stuck, then another patch of almost an hour before the last leg, where we ended up throwing the pick down to keep us from reversing up. Wasn't so bad though, as we lay around in the sun and ate a leisurely lunch.

The run home was a great. A couple of whoopsies when we blew our kite not far from home, then the motor stopped as we were dropping sails, and we had to get a tow back in, but otherwise magic.

Passage races are great for giving everyone a chance to steer and do stuff they otherwise wouldn't during a race on the return so enjoyable for all concerned. We put the skipper down in the pit for the set up to come home, where he was actually quite useful, when he wasn't disappearing all the time...

It was also unofficial Adopt-an-Island-Dweller day, so we took yachtyakka out for sail. We managed to keep him out of the rum until the end of the race, so he was actually quite useful. He also put on his Keelboat Instructor's hat for much of the way home, teaching the less experienced how to steer, which everyone really enjoyed.

One really has to appreciate what we've got here on our doorstep - we were on the foredeck on the leeward side with the jib against the safety lines to keep the water out, with the water rushing past and looking up at the stars, drinks in hand, and it really doesn't get much better. The best time had in quite a while :)

A real shame the fleet is so small and no one wants to stay the night at the best anchorage in the world !

So tell me then....as the "local" on board was it YY calling tactics around Waiheke?

Have to say, this is one of the more enjoyable races on the schedule - few corners and such a nice sail....I don't understand why more yachts do don't do it!

Yep from me bean bag with ice cold grenade in hand in Cactus Bay if was great to watch... esp the bit where G3 goes passed us and Timberwolf is the next boat about 3 hours later.. in the 2 minutes it was in view, I wondered what its point was.

On the other hand was pleasing to see the monos not that far behind the multis...

'twas a good day out on the water. A bit frustrating, as we were all amped up for a good blast, but once we got over the drifting down the back of waiheke part, the sail across the firth was good. On the way home the slavedriver of a skipper made us do 2 headsail changes! i think it was to keep us busy and slow the drinking down. :D

A real shame the fleet is so small and no one wants to stay the night at the best anchorage in the world !

I have to confess to never having been there. Both times I've done the race we've had to get back the same night. Why so great?

As for the fleet, why do more boats not do the race? As pointed out it's a great run without two many turns, and the right length for a passage race, and an easy sail home, whenever that ends up being.

So tell me then....as the "local" on board was it YY calling tactics around Waiheke?

Have to say, this is one of the more enjoyable races on the schedule - few corners and such a nice sail....I don't understand why more yachts do don't do it!

We did let him steer a bit (actually it was me that gave him the helm) and you know what - it wasn't long after that we were becalmed off Waiheke :think:

As an aside, all crew now have a strong working knowledge of where every bar, vineyard and rum distillery are located on the island.

'twas a good day out on the water. A bit frustrating, as we were all amped up for a good blast, but once we got over the drifting down the back of waiheke part, the sail across the firth was good. On the way home the slavedriver of a skipper made us do 2 headsail changes! i think it was to keep us busy and slow the drinking down. :D

That's just not on! Headsails should only be used for reclining on the way back, and a bit of stargazing, and whatever else comes to mind ...

The mast and foredeck crew were getting a bit restless as we were sitting there in the doldrums, and the topic of a mutiny did come up as everyone was lying there dehydrating furiously in the sun. However as soon as the line was crossed (literally and figuratively) the rum was cracked. We then banished the skipper to the pit for the kite hoist and got busy with sheeting off for a bit of single handing by the helmsman (ooh sorry - helmsperson), and a wee drop for the rest of us.

We even managed to get the stereo sorted for the trip back so we didn't have to listen to rum dribble from any of the guests on board :lol:

We saw TimberWolf and Sundreamer on the way back as we were sitting there waiting for the breeze to fill in, and they both looked like they had a reasonable turn of speed on for the sail home.

People don't do it because (1) Kawau was two weeks ago and most importantly (2), check the race history, four times in five, the wind sucks, it doesn't blow. By definition if you have to anchor (or should but refuse to on principle) it isn't a race.

It's a nice anchorage though and a screamer of a trip in a 30kt Westerly.

The windless bit going across the firth is a tacticians nightmare and sometimes one for the race committee.

In the mid '90's the entire fleet (60 yachts from memory) crossed the line in a 90 second period.

As for the fleet, why do more boats not do the race?

Too much good shite on at the same time. I've entered in 2 events and just realised both are this weekend when there is another BBYC I wanted to do. Ahhhggggggg........

Markm, are you implying Akl yachties are too soft to do more than one distance race a month. You are indeed a brave bastard :)

In the mid '90's the entire fleet (60 yachts from memory) crossed the line in a 90 second period.

I remember that one, it was one big flowing collision. The air was thick with abuse. Good times.

Yes they were.

I learnt some new words and new combinations of old ones!

We were sitting pretty for gun until everyone rolled us.

People don't do it because (1) Kawau was two weeks ago and most importantly (2), check the race history, four times in five, the wind sucks, it doesn't blow. By definition if you have to anchor (or should but refuse to on principle) it isn't a race.

It's a nice anchorage though and a screamer of a trip in a 30kt Westerly.

I thought since Kawau was a recent memory, people would be chomping at the bit to get back out there. Especially given the weather we've been having recently.

As for the fleet, why do more boats not do the race?

Too much good shite on at the same time. I've entered in 2 events and just realised both are this weekend when there is another BBYC I wanted to do. Ahhhggggggg........

Markm, are you implying Akl yachties are too soft to do more than one distance race a month. You are indeed a brave bastard :)

...and of course this race is fully crewed :silent:

The windless bit going across the firth is a tacticians nightmare and sometimes one for the race committee.

You mean the race committee didn't have to sit out there all afternoon and night to get the results, and they're complaining? :wink:

Speaking of the committee, if the wind wasn't so great (and historically hasn't been) why was the longer course chosen on Saturday?

All are MS. 2 need a full operational 930 crew of 2 and the 3rd needs full crew (2) plus some water ballast replacement known as heffalumps or rail meat (4) :)

Entered in 2 of the 3 currently :?

We had a great race on the High Voltage, right till where we missed getting around shag island by about 1 boat length, had to tack away one last time, breeze died and we started going out with the tide, ended up anchored as we watched flyer, go and mojo sail away from us and the rest of the fleet catch up.

Though all was not lost as the speakers and rums came out, breeze filled in bout 30-45ins later and we carried on. excellent days sailing, and the partywas quite good to.

looking forward to next year already

Hate to criticise but with the breeze that light and the tide absolutely roaring out near Tarahiki Island the decision to choose the longer course was not the right one !

Have to agree there MrWolf. We called before the start to see which course it was and was surprised when it was 31, and not 32.

We could hear the High Voltage from afar, and it definitely sounded like you were having fun. Our skipper had decreed no drinking until after the race, so we were REALLY wishing for that wind to fill in :crazy:

We had a great time on Pretty Woman too. High Voltage took the inside passage and avoided the 1st doldrums as we watched idly with flapping sales but we made huge ground during the 2nd one. Towed Thunder into the marina and left them in the fairway with some way on and they did a perfect berthing manoeuvre even without an engine! Respect.

Looking forward to next year and joining the multis with Tigre!

Archived