mini 650

looks like we arent doing a floppy keel. but we are going to go down the water ballast road with 400L a side and around 60L up forard to keep the nose down upwind. KM there was about 200kgs of water logged foam underneath the cockpit, just dug it all out with the spade :lol:

Polystyrene, yuk. Not good when water gets in there.

If you need more "Real" Urathane Foam J, I have about 30 or so Kg/ltrs of pour in foam at work that I don't think they want to use, as they use a new generation foam in the floats now. So it's yours if you want it.

I also have about 10Kg of lead if you want it. Maybe more, just a guess.

cleaned the shed out today, so ready to put a few benches and tools in their to make it a semi work shop because its more practical than doing everything up the front of the property in the garage. and we are also going to gather some lumber over the week to build a kind of lean to over the boat. then work begins....yay..... :crazy:

I'm Curious will it be in ground or above ground/ do you intend to use chlorine or a saltwater treatment? I'm shocked that you treated the kids floaty boards in such a manner.

are you sure that is a 6.5?

it looks more like a 4.5 with 2m of scoop on the back :lol:

4.1 with a 2.4mt scoop or cockpit as we prefer to call it.

And just for Offender, it's 6.5 long and 3.3 wide. Measurements a multi dude would like I would suspect. The measurements you get when a 18fter sailing designer swap to sailing a GBE, the wee lad got all a bit confused :)

I told ya, losing the cockpit/foam would be the best 1st step. I do like the method :lol:

i never knew the spade could be such a valuable boat building tool

SAVE THE SPADE :!: :!: :!:

It is a very good prep tool in the antifouling process :!: :!:

obviously a very long way off but how do you plan to pump in the water ballast?

How do you plan to block and drain?

What size pipes?

What sort of flood gates ,drains to fit he pipes?

I know the big boys use the engine to pump in but cant see that happening in this case. It was too hard for us to sort this out.

I have a very crude system that holds 200litres and it is a mare.

Bad transfer and very slow filling up.

Be aware some Hand pump bilge style pumps are sh*t and pump a lot less water than stated.

Having tried a lot the only good one is a Whale Titan? Dont hold out the better model works heaps better and whale was the only good brand.

totally useless unless offshore with no tacks an gybes. 50mm pipes. Around ten mins in.A lot less than spec'd on the box

4mins side to side and drain.

Lose around 10 to 15 boat lengths every tack with the water on the leeward side before we can turn the boat.

not flash when its a close battle and now we hardly use it.

obviously a very long way off but how do you plan to pump in the water ballast?

How do you plan to block and drain?

What size pipes?

What sort of flood gates ,drains to fit he pipes?

I know the big boys use the engine to pump in but cant see that happening in this case. It was too hard for us to sort this out.

I have a very crude system that holds 200litres and it is a mare.

Bad transfer and very slow filling up.

Be aware some Hand pump bilge style pumps are sh*t and pump a lot less water than stated.

Having tried a lot the only good one is a Whale Titan? Dont hold out the better model works heaps better and whale was the only good brand.

totally useless unless offshore with no tacks an gybes. 50mm pipes. Around ten mins in.A lot less than spec'd on the box

4mins side to side and drain.

Lose around 10 to 15 boat lengths every tack with the water on the leeward side before we can turn the boat.

not flash when its a close battle and now we hardly use it.

Just curious, but why wouldnt you dump the full tank overboard through a big 100mm pipe (or 2) and refil the otherside with fresh seawater?

Because it takes ten minutes pumping by hand to get it back in.

And its hard pumping possibly on the leward side depending on what tack your on. Far too hard and tiring

Much easier to drain it across with gravity but like I said:

What drains and waste gates to use? sounds easy right 100mm tubes and gates but on the cockpit floor? Pretty clumsy and in the way. 50mm is already giving me the s--ts.

Would like to hear from anyone that has a good system currently in use as I plan to change mine after tauranga race before the winter ssanz series

Am going to fit it but was thinking more of a system under the cockpit with the valves operated from above. Must be electric gate valves out there surely. We're certainly planning on 100mm transfer pipes with venturis to dump. Will also use soft tanks inside of the compartments already there.

Hey Skins have a talk to pettle

the job he did on M1 is impressive but now he's done it he may even have better ideas

Richard all the bigger boats that Iv'e seen use manual valves as they are more reliable

on fun n games i used 70mm guillotine valves and pipes for tacking, about 30 - 40 seconds from memory, open valves, drop traveller, water for the water to show in the breather tubes, close and tack.

The fuller system was 40mm with a syphon valve, and whale pump, I could pump 300 litres in a little over 3 mins.

I did some of the oringinal components for M1, they had two 100mm syphon valves

post-234-14188717591.jpg

Electric valves can be done I made some using electric seat actuators from Jeep seat ( to tight to buy right ones ) worked good ... however for offshore I think it is not legal unless you can maually dump as well.

was challege yachts ( marvel distributors ), theyve had them at bunnungs in the past. google valterra

RV supplies would be your best bet, around $40 from memory

Archived