Airless Spraying Antifoul

Marshy

Anyone here done it them selves? i have access to all the gear and as they say DIY is cheaper than paying people, But how hard is it? Have sprayed with normal gear before. Is it hard to get a decent finish with Antifoul through an Airless gun?

Oh yeah its a proper airless sprayer designed for Antifoul. Have a friend who sells them lending me a demo machine. Just need some pointers from anyone who has driven one before :-P

Always good to see someone having a crack and you are more skilled than most, Marshy.

Just wondered if you had looked at the cost breakdown, given that you will still be up for:

- haulout and hardstand

- prep (sanding :thumbdown: )

- paint, masking tape and materials, thinners etc.

Obviously you are saving the labour component of the job but - going from the last time we were out of the water - that may only be a couple of hundred to get the certainty of a good outcome.

Anyone here done it them selves? i have access to all the gear and as they say DIY is cheaper than paying people, But how hard is it? Have sprayed with normal gear before. Is it hard to get a decent finish with Antifoul through an Airless gun?

Its a whole harder than it looks and you could end up putting shitloads of paint on really fast.

The lines and gun are really hard to clean out properly.

generally putting on with an Airless is very hard to get it nice and smooth.

the other thing is its very easy to get Overspray on absolutely everything, and then it ends up costing you to have to remove it.

Give Jason sager a call on 021 795826 he does Antifoul all the time.

Yeah wondered about that. Got a quote to get it sprayed after i do all the prep and it was still up there in the money sense i.e. more than a few hundred dollars just to spray. And its a cool skill to know. But its tempting to ring Jason, might call him tomorrow!

Antifoul will always spray on with an "Orange Peel" type pattern on the surface. Apart from that, it is pretty much as Tim describes it. For a one off, it's a pain in the butt if you need to return the unit completely clean. The guys doing it for a job, using it every day, don't need to be quite so finicky about cleaning it.

I used a airless to paint the kitchen walls last year. Ended up putting 4 ltrs on in about 15min. Then came out the rollers to roll the excess off into a tray was it was sliding down the walls. After all the prep and masking I will stick to a roller for antifouling :-)

Let me guess Chris.

The quote from Jason came in a bit more reasonable than you expected?

and I'll tell you right now, you would never have got it anywhere near as good!

the Little Airless Unit Jason uses puts it on smoother than any one else I have seen (this is especially true for Micron 66 the type of antifoul he has sprayed for me in the past)

I have had excellent results using a foam roller the last 2 times I have applied micron 66, it needs a little bit of thinners and good qaulity rollers, and you have to work quite fast as the roller will eventually break down but the results are as good as if not better than the spray jobs I have seen. I spoke to a guy from international prior to applying this way the first time and he recommended it. The added benefit is the very expensive antifoul goes alot further with less waste.

Yes the first lot was only moderately expensive, but I put a single coat of very expensive on this year as I had the boat out anyway, very impressed by the performance of the antifoul by the way :thumbup:

Due to a bit of guesswork from "someone" when we came out to have a bit of work done later in the year, I have ended up with mostly Micron Extra (as intended) but 66 on the keel and rudder. Even allowing for a six-month difference in the application dates, the 66 seems noticeably better.

When we are discussing this its relevant to point out that Mercenary is a racing boat (as is mine) and therefore require a really mint finish, if you don't achieve that you need to Wet Sand the bottom which is very wasteful of the little grub eating chemicals near the surface.

Some people will be happy with the finish achieved with a foam roller.

I've yet to see that as good As Jason gets with the airless (or even close to as good for that matter).

The other relevant thing with ablatives is that they work better the smoother the surface (nothing sticks to a smooth surface) and also if you need a light wipe with a sponge it comes off easier.

Its all horses for courses though.

As an aside Murky, Jason does do antifoul jobs at Tutukaka

That is actually quite useful to know Mr W.

The haulout facilities here are...I do not know what to say without heading down the path of defamation...not overly modern might cover it.

As a result, every time we have been out of the water has been at some other location.

But noted all the same. Does he only do antifoul?

Let me guess Chris.

The quote from Jason came in a bit more reasonable than you expected?

Haha yeah Tim it was a glamour price from Jason actually. That man is a legend! I have seen his work on alot of boats, including your floats? today Looks very cool. I just didnt want to trouble him with my boat. But he is keen so thats awesome!

Cheers for the suggestion Tim. And Murky, he paints more than just antifoul, he painted the Green Death Trap in its new colours and painted Timber Wolf i believe? Very good pricing, expecially if you do the "scratching" as he calls it and get it all ready for him to paint.

[and painted Timber Wolf i believe? Very good pricing, expecially if you do the "scratching" as he calls it and get it all ready for him to paint.

He did paint Timberwolf last time, but the new amas are Painted by Gloss Boats (as they were painted in the Work Spray booth during work hours, so done by Hall spars contractors).

Jason though has kindly agreed to re antifoul the Wolf in the next week or so.

used an airless sprayer to paint my 60m of my 2m high fence...was magic.... have to be careful not to put on too much paint.!! was very quick and a great finish. the time it saved me was worth the money it cost to hire. not sure anout doing a boat though ...would be hard doing a small surface like that.

Archived